Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Any logical reason I made this turn play?

Average SL-N player
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Any logical reason I made this turn play?

There are some people who will habitually bet the flop if checked to in LP, but will fold if bet into on the turn. If this particular button has this habit, I really like the play.

Against an unknown though, it's pretty bad.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 AM

If you're trying to scare him off his hand (or lack of hand) a check raise might work better on the turn. However, I don't think you have a lot of pot equity heads up, so I don't know how much extra you want to be putting in the pot. It's probably read dependent. If you think there's a good chance he'd bet the flop with 2 high cards, and then fold to aggression, then a check raise my be good.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:51 AM

He had shown no aggression post-flop prior to this. I was trying to get him off the hand and take it down there.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 AM

I don't think most 3/6 players regularly fold to turn checkraises. If he has top pair or better I think he's at least calling down, and when he has a really good hand we have to pay 3BB to see the river (we definitely can't fold to the third BB).

Against a player capable of laying down a hand sure, but against an average unknown 3/6er I don't think this works often enough to be profitable.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:20 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

n/m ... i can't read good
Old 03-03-2005, 11:31 AM

Once you were heads up after the other two players dropped to the button bet, if you were calling I'd consider a check/raise semi-bluff representing a 6 to try to take down the pot right there. If he calls, you've got him thinking and can try to bet out on the turn as you did or try for a free card. If he 3 bets the check/raise, you've got a large pot and easy odds to see the river.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He had shown no aggression post-flop prior to this. I was trying to get him off the hand and take it down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just check call the turn as you'll be getting odds to draw to the flush on the river anyways. Then you could lead out the river if you're putting the button on a busted flush draw. I don't see many hands that button will raise PF that are going to fold to turn lead out and many times you're going to get raised.

Can't believe it hasn't been said yet so I'll start..... raise PF. 1 limper and folded to me this is an auto-raise virtually every time.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:33 PM

You should raise pre-flop here. You have a pretty good hand in good position with one weak limper.

The turn bet thingy is not such a good plan. You set yourself up for (and then got) the worst possible result. This goes back to the old HEFAP rule of checking the turn with outs.

Also, the turn bet is odd because it comes out of nowhere. A big ace that missed may decide to look you up anyway, even if you follow through on the river with a bluff bet.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Any logical reason I made this turn play?

Two possibilites: (1) Cuz you knew the club was hitting the turn or (2) Cuz you hate money.