Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Re: What really is my bankroll?

600bb for NL?? or 6 buy-ins at Party and most online capped games??? I believe 20 buy-ins ("2,000bb") is the generally accepted minimum BR requirement for NL.

Also, that NL has higher variance is another point of contention
Old 12-17-2005, 05:09 AM

you could try just taking your $2k 'poker bankroll' and actually winning with it.

The reason you've gotten lots of sarcastic responses is because it's pretty silly to WANT to put your entire net-worth at risk just because you think you should have more balls.

If you are a winning player then you should be able to make the money to move up anyway.

In other words: at least TRY to have some responsibility.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 AM

Risking your OWN MONEY at poker?

Theres a difference between having balls and being a [censored].

This post is blunt because if you lost it all we'd all probably have to hear about that "oh so bad beat" that took half your role. Then onto how the player sucked and you knew if you sold your house and played with that cash you could double up EASILY.

Sure thing, How about you take $30 and put the rest of that cash into a nice little savings account.

Then grow that $30 to $1000 within the month by bonus whoring and logging a few thousand hands.

You'd be lucky to start with $30, I started with $20 which i cashed out within 2 weeks of playing 0.02/.04.

I guess this will really see how wise you are.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:00 AM

To that end....

I have a new car I could get several thousand for as well as a piano I could get a couple hundred for.
I guess I could also sell some random furniture and I could raid various 401k and IRA stuff.

If I lose all that I could sell my blood.

Does this all count as my total bankroll?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To that end....

I have a new car I could get several thousand for as well as a piano I could get a couple hundred for.
I guess I could also sell some random furniture and I could raid various 401k and IRA stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Blood = life = poker.

Blood = poker.

Come on guys, it's so simple.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 PM

thanks for all the replies.

i think i really do have a problem with spending money, i only really spend money going out. for example, if i think about buying a jumper for £30/$55 i usually wont, but i have no problem going out and spending £50/$90 regular getting off my face with my mates. i havent had a week spending less than $200 for god knows how long, with it usually being about $350.

i suppose i view money as just so variable, and understandly so i think, and especially after a few drinks, i have no problem blowing the money.

as for my bankroll, im surprised by those saying i have $0 bankroll. im just saying i honestly do think i am a very good online player (as we all do i suppose), ive been playing for now 4 years and last 15 months of serious regular profit, before that i played play money then break even, maybe slightly up at .50-1NL.

i agree with one of the above posters that my bankroll is about $5,000, as that is what i can comfortably lose.

i just feel its irrating that i really do feel i can win at higher limits, and cant due to my bankroll limitations, but i will never play above my bankroll, as otherwise one day i will go bust.

anyways, i think im not playing at the limits i was hoping i would be considering the amount ive won, no jokes ive barely ever played higher than the 200 sit downs, and you cant win 85 buy ins without being a good player. Ive had a lot of experience online and just think i can win at higher limits. So i think its time to really stop spending so much, stop spend so much of my time watching crap tv, and really try and either be: working for uni studies, playing online, or with my mates. thats what i do at the moment, it just feels when i look back on the day so many times ive done very little work, not enough time online, and a lot of time off my face/hungover in bed.

anyways, thanks for the replies, and if anyone feels like staking me for $20K, im here waiting [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2005, 01:44 AM

having just read ggman post, i feel like him. except for booze and procrastination hit my life and thats why im playing the 200NL and not the $2K NL.....
Old 12-18-2005, 02:06 AM

I seriously doubt that you are as good a player as ggbman.

If you more seriously want to explore these ideas of falling into various temptations and all that stuff getting in your way then Barry Greenstein's Ace on the River might be a good read for you.
He talks A LOT about drinking, drugs, sports-betting, sex, etc etc being the downfall of MANY great players and about the discipline required to avoid burning through all your money on this stuff (is that is something that is a problem for you...which you already admitted it is).

You may get some other ideas from the psychology forum here.

However, even if it is valid...I think it's a REAL cop-out to just say "I could have been SOOOOO great if it weren't for my drinking, spending, etc etc."
Almost everyone who doesn't win says something like this.
You are either winning or you aren't.
you are either solid with your bankroll or you aren't.

As I've mentioned in previous threads. I think my poker-skills are pretty sucky....but I'm better off than many players because I just don't have the kind of discipline problems with bankroll that others do (and I actually don't think I'm as responsible with my bankroll as I should be).

Compare these two players:
Player 1: Great skills. Horrible bankroll management. This player is almost guaranteed to go broke (Stu Ungar)

Player 2: Mediocre skills. Very good bankroll management. This player will likely NEVER go broke. There's ALWAYS a lower limit that you can play to rebuild where you can win if you are losing. Even if you are barely a break-even player you can still get by at low-limits on rake-back and bonuses alone and there isn't much reason why you should bust out.

So imo you should always consider bankroll management to be PART of your poker skills. not something that is seperate from it.
you have card skills AT the table...and bankroll management skills AT and AWAY FROM the poker table.

Obviously your bankroll skills away from the table are kinda sucky.
In this thread you seemed to come dangerously close to also treading into sucks bankroll skills AT the poker-table (by playing at limits higher than your current bankroll would justify)

Perhaps one way to get motivated would be to think of yourself as a sucky poker player BECAUSE your bankroll management problems are so bad.
You will not be a good poker-player UNTIL you tackle these issues...and win enough on your own to move up to the stakes you want to play.

Just some thoughts. Hope they are not taken the wrong way.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:29 AM

Wrong forum you [censored] nood. Try harder and maybe you wont receive two **
Old 12-18-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To that end....

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD! N1 Bob