Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 PM

Default What\'s your move here?

End of the first hour of a Stars $5 buyin No Limit MTT. Approx. 750 players remain out of about 1100. I hadn't been at this table for long so I didn't really have any good reads, but the players were typically loose. My stack was 1580, MP's stack was about 3000 and Button's stack was around 1600, blinds were 50/100, I was dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB.

Four of us saw the flop. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet 200, MP raises to 400, LP folds, and Button calls the 400.

What's your move here?

I decided to push all in. What do you think of that play?

Results (in white):
<font color="white"> Button had a club flush draw, which he didn't make.
MP had the nut straight with K Q in his hand.

I busted out of the tourney finishing around 750th.</font>
Old 06-17-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: What\'s your move here?

Very nicely played. I definatly would have moved in on the flop instead of trying to trap.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: What\'s your move here?

I agree, I think I push in here as you did. Obviously, you're drawing dead/3 outs to a tie if he's got the KQ, but I dont see any way out of this spot and there are several other hands he could be raising with. Trying to trap is an option, by calling then check-raising the turn, or trying to get him committed with a smallish re-raise here on the flop. The problem is there are way too many cards you dont want to see (any club, any Q, K, or board pairing card might well lose you the hand), so while there was no way out of this tough spot for you I believe you made the right play here as you will usually have the best hand, and there are enough chips in the pot already that you would be happy to take it down without a fight.