Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Default First thread, tough decision vs LAG @ 2/4

First of all, I just wanted to say hello to you all. I have been reading the mid/high stakes NL forum for about a month. It has been very informative and entertaining. I am grateful for it. And I would be grateful for some opinions on how to play this hand. So here it is:

10-handed game @ 2/4
Hero is in mp (~350) raises to 16 behind 1 limper w/A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Folded around to villain in bb (~450) who calls, limper folds, making it heads up.
I have played several times w/villain, and he is LAG but a good player. He mixes up his play pretty well, but we haven't butted heads much. I have a fairly TAG image thus far.

Flop ($37) comes 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB checks, I bet $30, BB calls.
I now expect he has a draw or a small piece of this flop.

Turn ($95) brings 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], no help I assume.
BB checks again, I bet $80, BB calls.

River ($240) is 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
BB instantly bets pot which puts me all in. Hero?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: First thread, tough decision vs LAG @ 2/4

Maybe this is a no-brainer for some of you, but I struggled with a decision here, let me know what you would do in hero's spot and why. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 PM

He either has 78, or a missed flush draw. It now comes down to how often you think he bluffs. If you think he is bluffing > 33% of the time, call....otherwise fold. I probably fold vs in this spot though.

Also, you should make it 18 or more preflop, IMO.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 PM

looks like he missed his flush draw, unless he knows you wont fire again with a strong but not lock hand

i always ask myself in these spots, now what does my opponent want me to do, at lower levels people just bet their hand but i think when you start moving to around this level people have some moves

if it seems theres no way i could call with most hands, and the opponent is mentally aware to the point he/she should realize this, then if the odds arent too terribly bad i usually make the call

of course some people are chronic slowplayers, and spring into life at the last moment, with these people you take the last info they give you as truth; and make note of it to not call this sort of bet in the future
Old 06-25-2005, 04:13 AM

I felt that villain might do this with 2 pair, a str8, or a set of 10's. But I also thought he might make this play w/a missed flush draw, JJ, A9 or total bluff since he may think a TAG would fold here. Well, I finally decided to call based on his range of hands, 2:1 odds, and to gain info for future reference even if I was beat. He turns over 9s10s for 2 pair and the winner.

I think in upcoming hands against this villain, I should bet even stronger on flop/turn with a made but vulnerable hand. I generally like to bet 2/3 to 3/4 pot on flop when I raise preflop whether I have anything or not. I should just make those bets a bit larger against this player.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:24 PM

clear sign youre playing a hand really badly is when you realize you hit a 3 or 5 outer on the river after paying through the nose, and get really eager to take advantage of it

forgot about that syndrome