Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: TPTK, controlling the pot size question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I make this play often, but I rarely do it with a hand as strong as AQ with a Q939 board and a diamond draw. I would have pushed on the turn, hoping to get called by KQ or QJ or a mid pair. If the guy had a nine - he would win a big pot and I would be ok with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's no piece of advice regularly given out by inexperienced SSNL players on this board that annoys me more than "push and hope".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I agree with you Swolfe. The reason I played the hand the way I did is b/c I DIDN'T want to be all in with just TPTK.

I think the advantages of this play is that I don't get outplayed on the turn to a bluff and I will induce more bluffs/calls by second bests on the river.

On another hand I played like this (I've only had the opportunity to play 2 like this) I had Qh 9h on the button. Normally wouldn't even play this, but I'm trying to get more sophisicated with my NL game, esp button play. Flop comes 2c 9c 7c and it is checked to me. I bet out the pot for $4 and am called by MP. Turn is Kd and MP checs to me. Normally I bet there, but I had a hunch the MP was going check raise me on a bluff and I felt like I had the best hand so I check behind in order to keep the pot small enough that I could call a bet on the river (assuming nothing too scary, of course). The river was a harmless 3d (2c 9c 7c Kd 3d). I felt like I had the best hand, because I felt like a pair of kings would bet the turn. Anyway with only $12 in the pot (since I made a conscious effort to keept it that way) they guy bets $6 into me. I felt pretty comfortable calling $6 into what was now an $18 pot. Turns out the guy had Jd 8d. I can't believe he called the flop with just a gut shot on a board with 3 clubs. I'm sure he was looking to take it away from me on the turn, which I would have obviously had to give him had I bet the turn. Also, my check of the turn induced his small bluff on the river.

Like I said, I've only done this play twice so far, but it seems like it might be real successful in the long run. I'm just sick and tired of being check raised all the time on the turn and having to lay down what I think is probably the best hand. But I'm not real comfortable with the play either. Any thoughtful challenges to the play or suggested changes would be very welcome.