Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Looking for comments on this hand.

Should I fold 5th Street here? How else should I play this hand?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.90 SB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.95 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (5.95 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (9.95 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (9.95 BB)
Old 11-14-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Looking for comments on this hand.

I'd consider raising both 3rd and 4th. On 3rd you've got great bluff ability with a good drawing hand if you can get this heads up you're likely to win on 4th/5th if your opponent(s) blank. On 4th you really need to try and get the BI out of the hand as well as your hand is strong enough that a raise here is for value.

I don't fold 5th, but I'm a fish.

I don't know that 6th is a raising situation. You're likely to get 3bet if he has a boat or is trying to bluff he has one. I'd generally just check/call this down.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:32 PM

I would fold fifth. You have to catch another club (or 9 I guess) to even have a hope of winning the hand. Even then, you could very easily be beat. I think your sixth street raise just succeeded in convincing him that you had trip nines or a boat.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:45 PM

It's fun to try to hit a strt flush, but having fun can get expensive. You have to fold here. You are trying to hit a hand that may already be lost.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:17 PM

You have enough in the pot to come against a random hand, especially since anyone who made something like (55)22 is likely to bet it. You are getting almost 7-3 odds if the 222 will pay off the river unimproved, or will bluff at the pot, and you are less than a 2-1 dog.

Plus when you miss, you don't have to pay off the river.

One of the ways you lose is when the 4th 2 hits on 6th, so you can fold at that point, unless you have a party and hit the 10.

It is 16-1 against him starting with a pocket pair, so it is extemely likely that is all he had.

A narrow decision, but correct to call.

The raise on 6th is questionable, as you picked up an extra bet on 6th, then gave it back by checking 7th. You get three bet when he's full on 6th, and unless you release there, it's going to cost you two extra bets with no upside.

Since you raised 6th, I'd bet 7th. He wasn't full on 6, and he is roughly 4-1 to fill or quad, and you are only laying 2-1 on the bet.

Interesting hand.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Raise 4th.

Calling 5th is probably OK because he's the bring-in. The odds on him having a pair in the hole or a two in the hole are quite long, although shorter than 16:1, given that he didn't fold 4th. With a lot of junk eg 7322, he should fold.

If you raise 6th, you should bet the river. Otherwise just check and call. Bet the river if he checks.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:19 PM

I think you've got to fold on 5th. I also think the raise on 6th is bad. If you're gonna call, just call and bet on 7th if checked to.

- Mac
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 PM

Raising 6th may hold some value here, his call suggests:
(a) he doesn't have the boat, but the pot's big enough for him to give it another shot on 7th
(b) he has a boat, but he's afraid you have 9's full, so he plans on check/calling 7th
(c) he has a boat, but he's hoping he can go for a check-raise on the river

from the way the hand has played out, i don't think he has the boat (yet), and raising 6th gives you the extra bet, and i think when you caught his king on 7th it becomes more likely he didn't fill up, and he is very likely to call with trip dueces, so raising 6th isn't terrible