Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Question on suggested stud bankroll requirements

Hi Stud forum, I'm typically a NLHE tournament player who dabs in PLO8 from time to time, but started out with Stud back when I was a kid. I'm just inquiring what the suggested bankroll would be in terms of big bets to handle the swings that I may get. I'm currently starting out at the .25-.50 game, but will be moving up once I get back into the swing of things.

I apologise if this has been asked before, I'll also note that I plan on soon adding the Ray Zee, Sklansky, and Malmuth book to my collection as reccomended in the FAQ post. I'd rather be an all around good player at all the games, plus it helps me out on poker night with the boys [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Just glanced thru and saw it reccomends 300BBs so that would be about $150 for that game, and $300 for the .50-1 game. Sorry bout that, I do plan on posting some hands soon though to try to improve my stud game.

My next question would be would it be better to learn at the .25-.50 stage with .05 antes, or at the .50-1 stage with .05 antes?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Question on suggested stud bankroll requirements

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a relatively new stud player myself, and I found the PokerStars .25-.50 a great place to start. The play is about the same up to 2-4, IMHO. Once you get to 3-6, the play improves quite a bit.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 PM

200 hundred Big Bets is a good place to start. You'll figure out your needs nore as you move up in limits.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a relatively new stud player myself, and I found the PokerStars .25-.50 a great place to start. The play is about the same up to 2-4, IMHO. Once you get to 3-6, the play improves quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

i found the 2/4 quite a bit tighter than than the .5/1 (never really played the .25/.5). That being said there are sites as loose as the .25/.5 on stars that are 5/10
Old 11-15-2005, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!

I actually put aside 100 BB's to stud at the .25/.50 level, and already got it up to 180, so as soon as I can increase it to about 400, I'll move up to the .50/1 game where I'll have 200 BB's there. I'm trying to seperate bankrolls that I use for different games, so that if I am running bad at one game I can easily see whats going on and how well I am doing at each one. Tomorrow I'll likely buy the 7CSFAP book while I am out and about.

I'm glad to hear that there is no real difference up to the 1/2 level, I'm a quick learner but experience is golden. I'll be posting hands and asking questions as soon as I get thru the book that was reccomended, I don't want to ask something that is already covered in there.

BTW, which sites do yall reccomend besides stars and party? Something with a good signup/deposit bonus and rakeback would be a plus.

Thanks again.