Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Commerce Huge Pot

Commerce 100/200

A new player has brought life to what had been an ok-to-bad game. He is raising preflop most hands, then chasing to the river.

EP is pretty tight, maybe a little hot under the collar but not showing outward signs of tilt. MP is a regular and plays higher, I consider him to be very good. Nothing special about the BB.

EP openraises. MP cold calls. Loose guy 3bets right behind. Folded to me on the SB, I call with TT. BB calls. EP caps, all call. 5 to the flop for 10BB.

Flop is Ad3c4c. Checked to EP who bets, MP calls, Loosey calls, I see BB is going to just call so I call.

5 to the turn for 12.5BB.

Turn is the Td. Check-check-EP bets-MP calls-Loosey folds-I checkraise-EP 3bets-MP thinks for a long time and calls two more bets. I call.

3 to the river for 21.5BB.

River is the 6d, completing a backdoor flush draw. I check, EP bets, MP calls, and I call.

Comments appreciated on all streets...
Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Commerce Huge Pot

Preflop: anyone ever fold here with EP being "pretty tight" and MP coldcalling? is this a fold or cap position?

Flop call is amazingly close but I like it. If you had Tc that would be an auto-call, but without you're getting very close to the odds you need to spike a T on the turn.

Turn: cap that [censored]. with this many people calling it's probable that two people hold Ax rather than AA.

river: bet/3-bet

too aggressive?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:20 AM

i would fold preflop and 4 bet the turn and i feel really good about those plays.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would fold preflop and 4 bet the turn and i feel really good about those plays.

[/ QUOTE ]
what he said, basically.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 AM

Preflop call is fine since BB called as well, but if you had a feeling he's going to fold I think you should let this go preflop.

Flop, call is fine.

Turn, the fact that MP thinks for a long time and still calls two more bets feels like he has a big ace making it less likely EP spiked the case ace with AA. I would capp this turn, I can't see MP having anything else but a big ace since if he has a flush draw what is there to think about?? It would be an easy call.

I say with the way you played it, Donk the river.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 AM

I would consider folding this preflop. It seems like a fairly close call though. Also, cap turn.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:04 PM

"Turn, the fact that MP thinks for a long time and still calls two more bets feels like he has a big ace making it less likely EP spiked the case ace with AA."

This is a good read and exactly what I was thinking about at the time. This guy was not calling a raise from a tight EP with 33 or 44. Frankly I can't figure out what hand he would have other than ATs.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:09 PM

The turn play I understand was thin - I don't know, there was something about the pace of his bet, where his eyes were when MP was thinking, that made me not want to cap (basically he should have been worried about me, but he wasn't). I didn't want to write about how he's twisting his oreo or whatever because that would bias the responses.

I am surprised by the response to the preflop call, though. Are you guys calling Jacks there? Queens? Doesn't it matter that the fish made it 3bets? His range is like 30-40% there.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Preflop, a fold seems right. The rest of the hand seems good. The EP guy probably should not be 3-betting the turn with less than two pair, and he can't really have two pair on that turn, so he probably has aces. Aces or AcKc are the two hands I put him on. MP probably has either ATs or 33 or 44. But there is only one combination of ATs he could have, since you have the rest of the Ts. 4-betting the turn and bet-calling the river is another option but the way you played it seems fine to me.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised by the response to the preflop call, though. Are you guys calling Jacks there? Queens? Doesn't it matter that the fish made it 3bets? His range is like 30-40% there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing with TT is there are two more over cards compared to something like QQ. Your going to be stuck with the worst position on the flop with a hand that's very vulernable against 3 players that are in for 3 bets.

Really whether you had TT or something like 99 would make no different here IMO, your calling for set value. JJ in this spot will play similar to TT but it's slightly better.

I still think the EP tight raiser had something like AKd or AKc, Its hard to put him on aces here. I could see AKc or AKd 3betting that turn if he puts you on AT. So it's close between capping turn/leading river and calling 3bets/donking river on a blank.

From the point of when the action is back to you 3betted on the turn...

CAPPING turn would gain you 3-4 BB for 3BB, assuming that EP doesn't have AA. While you would lose 4BB if EP had AA.
CALLING 3bets on turn and check-calling river would gain you 1-3BB for 2BB, and cost you 2BB by the river if EP had AA.

This is all assuming that neither player draws out on your on the river. So looks like capping is still the right way to go to me because of the 3rd player in the pot.

Also, would EP get tricky with set of aces in this spot or would he bet it straight out and it's more likely they will put you on AT than TT here IMO.