Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Default preflop limp re-raise = me LOST

Party 15/30 10-handed

Hero MP1 w/ Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG (47/4/1.7) limps, folded to hero who raises, SB (39/12/2.1) calls, UTG re-raises, Hero caps, SB calls.

3 to flop.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG checks (?), Hero bets, SB calls, UTG check-raises, Hero (confused) 3-bets, SB calls, UTG caps, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

SB checks, UTG checks (?), Hero (still confused) bets (????), SB calls, UTG check-raises again!, Hero (now cross-eyed) folds, SB calls.

On river, SB check/folded so I never saw showdown cards.

Help me here. I was completely bewildered. Feel free to comment on any part of the hand, although most concerned with following decision points.

1) Flop 3-bet after being checkraised by limp-reraiser (not too worried about this)

2) ****Turn bet when checked to. This is the one causing me most grief. Is this a check behind / call river bet situation? Heads-up I probably do that nearly every time, but SB's hand was screaming draw (and he was weak -- prob would have stuck around w/ as little as gutshot...and given pot size, he probably had odds to) and I wanted to charge SB max for his draw.

3) Fold to UTG's turn checkraise -- ugh; immediately wish I'd checked turn and called river -- I based my decision on the fact that he was typically rather passive, I didn't have so much as top pair, and there was still the SB behind me to worry about.

Frustrated with this hand -- even weak players will occasionally decide to periodically limp re-raise with absolutely anything, knowing that it screams bullets, and then decide that they're just going to play it as though it were the nuts on every street.

Please comment as appropriate.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: preflop limp re-raise = me LOST

When I'm limp/rr'ed and have something like QQ I generally don't try too hard to take the lead in the hand. If he has garbage let him keep betting, if he has AA or KK get to showdown pretty cheap. In this case I'd cap preflop since the SB is subsidizing the pot but go into calldown mode following his flop c/r. I'd also check behind on the turn, esp if you can't call the c/r. This pot has gotten big enough that putting yourself in a place where you may have to fold for the sake of trying to make a thin value bet sucks. You also have a 2 outer against AK, KK, and TT, which isn't great but makes being forced to fold the turn even more distressing.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:07 PM

bumpity
Old 09-22-2005, 09:20 PM

After you get check raised on the flop, go into way ahead way behind mode and call down.

When he checks to me on the turn, I probably check behind, you might be giving up some value here, but you cant risk folding the best hand, and he has played wierd up til now. Any legit AK, AA, and KK smash you all the legit limp reraise hands. Also, you are not hurt too much by the free card.

-blake
Old 09-22-2005, 10:28 PM

i think u overplayed ur hand limp rr usually is aa kk ak
although sometimes ppl try to scare u when only a couple ppl in with a limp rr with weaker than usual hands,
i woulda called preflop most likely
prolly pop once on the flop then call down if rr
Old 09-23-2005, 08:35 AM

how many more times do you need to disbelieve UTG? There's no way I want to be checkraised on the turn as I am beat by any Ace. as the other guy said, way-ahead, way-behind, check behind here & call down.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually is such a strong word, as it implies more than 50% of the time. There is a good reason smart players piss on LRRs.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually is such a strong word, as it implies more than 50% of the time. There is a good reason smart players piss on LRRs.

[/ QUOTE ]he implied this because it is clearly the case.