Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Default 3/6 6m JJ against Michael Davis

Michael is the Button and knows that I am the BB.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero
Old 09-05-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: 3/6 6m JJ against Michael Davis

I'd bet the turn. He'd call the flop with any broadway gutshot, and may have peeled with a K hoping you'd give up with a PP? I don't know much about how he plays, but since he knows you are TAG you'd take a stab on the flop with any PP to protect your hand often, but he might give you credit if you continue the turn...

Surf
Old 09-05-2005, 02:00 PM

Ah, you've reached river play and it's one street early!

I don't see a bet getting him to fold a better hand, and the only justification for that line is if you see yourself making additional profit if he raises 55. Too risky for me.

Against his range, how often are you ahead? More than 25%? If he's one of those 30/20 people, I go ahead and call down, but I'm a station me.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM

Bet. I can see him folding a king and if you check his QJ QT JT whatever can take it away from you. If he raises its a pretty easy fold.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-05-2005, 02:29 PM

Checkraise.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:48 PM

Bet. Fold to a raise and check/fold river if he calls. His range of hands is too wide to check/fold. Plus you put him in a tricky position if he has something like KT.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting but I think the problem is that he will usually take a free card with his gutshot draws, when he would have folded them. However if he will really fold an Ace it might be worthwhile.

An alternate idea would be to bet, and if called checkraise the river.

I don't know enough about MD's game to say whether either of these would be effective. I do know he will be aware of the possibility of a TAG playing 88-QQ in this manner, so it isn't like he will be instamucking AJ. In general I assume that people are not capable of folding hands and this has served me well, so I would not try something like this without an extraordinary read.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 PM

I think the line that gets you into the least trouble is to checkcall the turn and checkfold the river, but even that is dangerous.

-Michael
Old 09-05-2005, 04:04 PM

I think you can bet the turn and c/f the river if called. I don't think michael raises you w/any hand your ahead of b/c the board is just too scary and most of his raising hands include an A or K

FWIW his hand range includes AA-77, AK, AQ, AJ, ATs, KQ, KJ, QJ, QTs so your behind most of his hands.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FWIW his hand range includes AA-77, AK, AQ, AJ, ATs, KQ, KJ, QJ, QTs so your behind most of his hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you meant by this but for a button iso-raise his hand range is way wider than that.

Surf