Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:39 PM

Default ESPN can\'t be too thrilled about this final table

not taking anything away from these players, they must all have obvioiulsy played their hearts out for days to make it here, and maybe after winning this or coming close some may become regulars on the circuit.

However, with all of the following sub plots leading into this with the final 60 and less remaining:

- Tif williamson only remaining woman, and biggest money winner ever for woman gets eliminated a dozen spots off.
- Greg raymer in an amazing run for a repeat goes out 1 table shy of final table
- Phil Ivey, big marketable poker pro, within easy reach of first final table and huge chip stack, goes on yet another near bubble tailspin and bad luck knock him off 1 table short
- John juanda, other big name poker pro, also goes out within last 100 (i think).

So now, other than Matusow, none of these names are recognizable, to general public anyways, and not nearly as much appeal as if just 1 of those subplots would have made it to final table.

That being said, good luck to remaining 9, and a heartfelt condolensce to the guy out in 10th, who lost to a river 2 outer, which cost him $400000...at least.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: ESPN can\'t be too thrilled about this final table

The 10th guy (Ayhan Alsancak) had QQ vs AT hearts
flop had 2 hearts and the AT hrts moved in cuz the other guy was short stacked (or called either way it was correct because of how short stacked that Ayhan was. The turn was a ten which gave Kanter 13 outs (Ace, Ten or heart). But still it has got to be tough to go out 10th
Old 07-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Whilst I agree they would have hand-picked a different 9 it isn't really any different to last year or indeed the year before that as far as your average ESPN viewer is concerned
Old 07-15-2005, 04:49 PM

2003 Final Table

Moneymaker
Farha
Harrington
Vahedi
Lester
Pak
Benvenisti
Singer
Grey
10th Ivey

2004 Final Table

Raymer
Arieh
Harrington
Hughes
Williams
Andersson
McClain
Krux
Dean
10th Luske

How many of those names did the general public know before play began those years? ESPN having 3 months to develop story lines will make things exciting enough for people to want to watch.

Kevin...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 10th guy (Ayhan Alsancak) had QQ vs AT hearts
flop had 2 hearts and the AT hrts moved in cuz the other guy was short stacked (or called either way it was correct because of how short stacked that Ayhan was. The turn was a ten which gave Kanter 13 outs (Ace, Ten or heart). But still it has got to be tough to go out 10th

[/ QUOTE ]

Ayhan started the day 27 with 225k, he was fortunate to even be in a position to have a chance at the last 9.

Kevin...
Old 07-15-2005, 04:51 PM

I'm sure they'll be fine. Matusow is a personality, and a more dynamic one than say Harrington. And before last year not too many people knew who Fossilman, Arieh, and David Williams were. Black has an interesting story, Dannenmann sounds like a character, Kanter has a ton of supporters there, etc. They'll create some new stars and recognizable personalities from this.

No doubt they probably could have used Raymer, Ivey, HDOG, or even Sheikhan (due to his clashes with Matusow) at the final table, but they'll be ok with this. Plus it's become such an event that it's bigger than the players involved. I almost think any 9 people would work out just fine. Almost.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 PM

OK i stand corrected..all i heard was that he had aces paired, and other guy had qq, and hit case queen....so i assumed 2 outs
Old 07-15-2005, 04:55 PM

Am I the only one who thinks they don't care at all? It's not like someone is tuning out because Ivey didn't make the final table. 2003 and 2004 didn't have many huge players either.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:55 PM

If been rooting for Matusow this entire tournament.

What's wrong with a wacked out, spent some time in jail, poker pro, who if he wins will blow the all the money on drugs and hookers and likely do more time down the road for tax evasion and if he busts out first and only make a million, will curl up in a ball and cry for the cameras???

I'm almost tempted to wait for the ESPN shows to see this train wreck unfold before my eyes instead of following the action on the net later tonight!!
Old 07-15-2005, 04:57 PM

About a year or so ago, I was an average TV-poker viewer. The only name I would have recognized last year would have been MoneyMaker, but I still watched. The average viewer is more interested in seeing dynamic personalities and an overall quality production and probably doesn't care about name pros. The hard-core fans would like to see the name pros, but they will watch no matter who is in it.