Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 09:54 PM

Default can i fold KK pre-flop ?

$100+$9 on empire - hand 4 with stack sizes all around T1000 - i get KK UTG+2 - UTG open limps and the next guy folds - i raise to T60 and the guy to my left pushes (T920) - folded to the BB who calls - UTG calls

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 12-26-2004, 10:05 PM

Default Re: can i fold KK pre-flop ?

Goddammit, you're a decent poster and I thought you were better than this kitten killing thread [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

(no)
Old 12-26-2004, 10:06 PM

Nope. Only AA has you beat. And its a wierd way to play AA anyway. To me AA makes a smaller raise than this. If he has AA I pray and move on to the next SNG.

I put him on AK or a TT-QQ. I think you are way ahead.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:11 PM

Re-read his post. He ain't worried about the guy to his left. If UTG is solid, it is very likely he holds AA. But, without a few hundreds hands with UTG to gauge his play, I reluctantly call.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:14 PM

There should be a sticky "Should I fold KK preflop" thread. I don't see many people playing AA this way. Whatever his hand, this guy has made a ridiculous bet so who knows what he could have? But you have no reason to put him on AA with any degree of certainty, so call.

UTG is more of a worry.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:39 PM

If my math is correct, it is an easy call for me. You have two "pushes" which means I would be betting t940 into a t2000 pot. About 2.1 to 1 odds.

The only hand I am really worried about is AA. I think the odds of someone waking up with AA is about 4.4% in a ten handed deal.

That means that 95.6% of the time, I will be a 56% favoirte to win the hand three handed (example: in a worse case senario, the BB wakes up with AK and UTG with QQ, I am a 56% favorite to win).

Even the 4.4% time I run into AA, all is not lost. I will still win 18% of the time (example if BB wakes up with AA and UTG has QQ, I will still have a 18% chance to win).

If my math is correct, I make this call, because in the long run, I have a big edge.

Please let me know if I am mistaken. I am new to the game and have plenty to learn.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:50 PM

Yes, I think you can fold. I just don't see UTG holding anything except AA here. Even if he doesn't there's still a pretty good chance of either the pusher or BB having it.

Because your equity against hands containing aces is lower than AA's equity against you, you actually need there to be no AA out there more than 50% of the time - you need something like 60-65%. That's before you factor in that if you fold, two people will more than likely be eliminated, which ups your $EV without you doing anything.

I'm normally part of the "never fold KK" brigade but there's a time and place for everything.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If my math is correct, it is an easy call for me. You have two "pushes" which means I would be betting t940 into a t2000 pot. About 2.1 to 1 odds.

The only hand I am really worried about is AA. I think the odds of someone waking up with AA is about 4.4% in a ten handed deal.

That means that 95.6% of the time, I will be a 56% favoirte to win the hand three handed (example: in a worse case senario, the BB wakes up with AK and UTG with QQ, I am a 56% favorite to win).

Even the 4.4% time I run into AA, all is not lost. I will still win 18% of the time (example if BB wakes up with AA and UTG has QQ, I will still have a 18% chance to win).

If my math is correct, I make this call, because in the long run, I have a big edge.

Please let me know if I am mistaken. I am new to the game and have plenty to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 pushes. The person to your left, the BB and UTG. In this case you are going to see aces a lot more than 4.4% of the time. If it was just the UTG or BB, I would take may chances.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 AM

I would look at how the first 3 hands played out and decide.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Goddammit, you're a decent poster and I thought you were better than this kitten killing thread

[/ QUOTE ]

visions of flushing kittens have been running through my head but i dont get it ?

stripsqueez - chickenhawk