Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 10:08 PM

Default AJs, TPTK, he shoves

Stars 30+3 SnG. 1 person eliminated, and blinds are 15/30. My stack is about T1250. UTG and MP (T1450) limp, and I limp in from the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Button folds, SB (T2750) completes, BB checks. 5 to the Flop, T150.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to MP who bets 120. I raise it to 300. SB calls, BB and UTG fold, and MP calls. 3 to the Turn, T1020.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, MP goes all-in. My move?

-Brian
Old 08-17-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: AJs, TPTK, he shoves

Any read? If he's a known nut, I want to take his chips, and I'd call. If not, I fold reluctantly. NLHE has been called a game of two pair or better, and you still have only one pair. He could have JT, 56s, who knows. Maybe he's being sneaky with AA or KK. My guess is that because you raised the flop he's counting on you calling his all-in bet and him holding a monster. Just a hunch...could be making an interesting bluff or semibluff with KQ or AT...

Play well,

CCC
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 PM

This is a tough one, IMO. The 6 on the turn doesn't seem like it would help any hand that would have called the raise on the flop. Maybe A6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? It seems equally likely that the turn didn't really help, and he is either bluffing you or he already had the hand to beat you.

No matter what, I don't see how you can call this. You may be letting go of the best hand here, but it would be a big risk to call.

Dave S
Old 08-18-2004, 12:52 AM

Remember he led into five players on the flop. Unless he's a maniac, I guess he had an overpair or flopped a set. Going all-in after the turn 6, no matter what two cards he's holding, is very savvy. Tough to put him on something without a solid read. I'd wait for a better spot.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:19 AM

This one depends entirely on how the whole table looks.

If it is a reasonable Stars off-peak lineup of half-decent players, I take my gamble that he has KJ QJ or some wild bluff here.
If it is a nice peak-time game loaded with nutters then I probably fold and try to double my 900 or so chips at a time more convenient to me.

Of course, if the player involved is either of the above, your play is easy.

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Results

Wow, you guys play much g00ter than I do. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I play almost exclusively ring limit hold'em, and am still having a hard time adjusting to folding strong hands like this one. I called, he had QQ, and I didn't help.

-Brian
Old 08-18-2004, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Results

Gotta love players like that though..."I have almost no chance to improve, and the board is draw heavy. Let's smooth-call the raise and let 2 people see the turn for free! And *then* go allin!" Brilliant!