Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 06:06 PM

Default WTF?!?!?!?!?! Spector and T.O.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=As...p&type=lgns

This is way to [censored] far

Senator says Terrell Owens treated unfairly

November 29, 2005
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Sen. Arlen Specter has accused the NFL and the Philadelphia Eagles of treating Terrell Owens unfairly, and might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Specter, who chairs the Judiciary Committee, said at a news conference Monday in Harrisburg it was "vindictive and inappropriate" for the league and the Eagles to forbid the star wide receiver from playing and prevent other teams from talking to him.

"It's a restraint of trade for them to do that, and the thought crosses my mind, it might be a violation of antitrust laws," Specter said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Eagles suspended Owens on Nov. 5 for four games without pay for "conduct detrimental to the team, and deactivated him with pay on Sunday after the suspension ended.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch said last week the team's actions were supported by the labor agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

"The arbitrator's decision is consistent with our collective bargaining agreement, and it simply enforced the terms of the player's contract," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Some legal experts disagreed with Specter's view.

"To have an antitrust violation, you have to have a contract or conspiracy in restraint of trade," said Robert McCormick, a law professor at Michigan State University.

Matthew J. Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette University, said, "We're in the labor arena, not antitrust."

Specter emphasized that he was "not a supporter of Terrell Owens."

"I am madder than hell at what he has done in ruining the Eagles' season," the Pennsylvania Republican said. "I think he's in flagrant breach of his contract and I believe the Eagles would be within their rights in not paying him another dime or perhaps even suing him for damages."

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him (by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season). He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."
Old 11-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: WTF?!?!?!?!?! Spector and T.O.

[ QUOTE ]

"I am madder than hell at what he has done in ruining the Eagles' season," the Pennsylvania Republican said. "I think he's in flagrant breach of his contract and I believe the Eagles would be within their rights in not paying him another dime or perhaps even suing him for damages."

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him (by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season). He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."

[/ QUOTE ]

So according to Senator Alzheimers Spector, T.O. is in breach of contract. But the Eagles, in paying him as per that contract and retaining (i.e., controlling) his services, are guilty of vindictiveness (since when is that a Federal crime?), antitrust violations, restraint of trade, and god knows what else.

I think Sen. Spector is in violation of his contract with his constituents to give them good representation in the Senate. Maybe he should sit out the rest of the session. Whether this or steroids or anyother headline-worthy issue is against the law, the Senate is in the business of passing laws, not enforcing them.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:27 PM

All he is saying is that the Eagles should release him. What is the problem?

Disclaimer:

I hate T.O. and the Eagles but I did Vote for Spector.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:31 PM

Specter can't die fast enough...
Old 11-29-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when Republicans eat their own.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when Republicans eat their own.

[/ QUOTE ]
I fail to see what is Republican about Arlen Specter.

But maybe I should just agree with whatever someone says as long as they have an R at the end of their name?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Senator is way off base with this one, and I don't agree with him all that often, but your comment is disgusting.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But maybe I should just agree with whatever someone says as long as they have an R at the end of their name?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good idea to me!

I think the thing that Arlen fails to get is that the Eagles are also trying to reclaim TO's signing bonus, and to do that they are going to dock his salary for the next few games. Assuming that it would have been hard or impossible to get the actual cash back, it doesn't cost them anything to keep on the roster. Why would they want to let a competing team have him when they can keep him tied up for free?
Old 11-29-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All he is saying is that the Eagles should release him. What is the problem?

Disclaimer:

I hate T.O. and the Eagles but I did Vote for Spector.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITS NONE OF HIS [censored] BUSINESS as a politician. As a fan yes. This is not anti trust this is a case of what is wrong with politics in the US.

Our forefathers are rollling over in their graves over this.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:21 PM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> I think Sen. Spector is in violation of his contract with his constituents to give them good representation in the Senate. </pre><hr />

My hat's of to you sir!!