Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: I open 72o UTG get 3bet by tiltboy and call down my bottom pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you read about the concept of raising utg 72o in a ten handed game? This is awful in the situation you described.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well a couple discalimers, I've only been playing about one year and I've read quite a bit of different stuff in the process of learning. I dug around and tried to figure where I got this from.

I think I got a couple different things mixed up in my head and kind of made it up thinking I read it somewhere.

Here is the basis for raising a non-premium hand UTG Clearly this is different as he is choosing hands with a lot more value like 23s or 87s.

I think the 72o notion is something I have misapplied from some NL reading I've done. I think Harrington's Volume 1 or maybe Super System... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] talks about playing 72o as if it were a premium hand. Or maybe it was in a squeeze play scenario...not sure. Anyways it wasn't limit UTG ten handed.

I'd guess there is likely some personal ego element that led me to combine the two concepts..."how cool would that be if I could own someone with the worst possible hand."

Obviously not good poker thinking.

The other downside to 72o is that if you show it down at any level above about 2/4 everyone knows it was "a move." Something like 78s or Q6s has the edge in that it has more equity and there is also a greater chance your opponents will define you as a moron instead of a tricky player.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 PM

OP opened 72o UTG. I likened his level of detail to hitting myself repeatedly in the groin with a baseball bat, and then telling the ER doctor that I'm lactose intolerant. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 01:27 AM

"Feel free to give input on the preflop--its not something I do a lot of. But I def have done it more than once. Maybe once every 3-400 hands or so."

Have you ever folded 7-2 offsuit and then thought about coming to 2+2 to ask if it was a mistake?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:51 AM

So uhh... who won the hand?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:59 AM

"Who's on tilt?"

dont be boring
Old 11-26-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever folded 7-2 offsuit and then thought about coming to 2+2 to ask if it was a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha.

If you know the player is on tilt and likely to raise, I think I would want to limp-reraise my 72o and trap the entire field. I think you definately left some bets on the table.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:10 PM

No I haven't.

I didn't mean 72o specifically--more just the notion of raising UTG with the non-premium. And maybe people would have ideas like thats a fine idea--just not with a hand that horrible. When someone asked where I got the idea i dug around and figured out myself that it was a pretty horible idea. Specifically I need something more like 56s and better table conditions.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Well I think most readers of this forum already know i won the hand as I appear to be regarded as a total noob and this is the kind of thing noobs do--play like a moron, get lucky and then come post about it as if they are poker gods.

I've tried to avoid that last part--but the first couple aspects of it I seem to have down.

Villain showed AJo and MHIG.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:09 AM

i like ur play, fine to me, and i like that u opened with junk, however i would prefer suited junk or 27s
Old 11-28-2005, 02:50 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
No I haven't.

I didn't mean 72o specifically--more just the notion of raising UTG with the non-premium. And maybe people would have ideas like thats a fine idea--just not with a hand that horrible. When someone asked where I got the idea i dug around and figured out myself that it was a pretty horible idea. Specifically I need something more like 56s and better table conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you realize the tangible effect doing something like this has to have on your oppoenents to justify taking a huge -EV hit first in at a 10-person table

plus, its 72o. its not a random hand. it is universally known as the worst hand. if you got to show the table your 72o, then they would likely think that you thought it would be fun to do it, and not that youre a maniac who raises EVERYTHING UTG. i think something like 53s would have more of an effect since its a random hand and its a lot less -EV raising up front. not that it would be ok, but 72o is probably the worst choice of any hand