Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Beating bad players

agree with everything you said...I welcome getting beat OR winning when i have the best of it. I dont really care...take a look at probablilty theory and simple tosses of a coin...there are long divergences from 0 over thousands of tosses...but the line always crosses 0 at some point or another...and that 0 mark does not represent 0 dollars for a good player...it means random deviations from the expected outcome have evened out and therefore the good player profits...Of course it sucks to lose at one given session as it does in one hand to a bad player who got lucky...but the gist of the post was that bad players arent beatable (not yours perhaps)...
Old 12-29-2004, 04:33 PM

How do you get blinded down to 1000 chips after starting with 800? I wish I could do that.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:56 PM

Everytime I get knocked out I mark whether I had a significant lead in the hand prior to the all-in or not. About half the time I'm knocked out I'm a sizable favorite. Most of the other times I'm making a value based all-in with the worst of it.

If I'm a big favorite, why am I knocked out half the time? Because I play tight and have to contend with big stacks at stage 5 unless I've caught big hands early. I basically have to double up twice to get the chip lead. So if I get all in at a 60/40 advantage twice, odds are (74% of the time) I'm going to get eliminated in that tourney on one of those two hands.

It sucks having to make blinds based decisions, but a) noone is making me play on PP. and b) this style of play makes the low limit games very beatable.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that if you're a good player, then you should be able to beat bad players. I just keep getting outdrawn. Does anybody have any on the best way to play against people who won't lay a drawing hand down, no matter what pot odds say? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way to play these players is to keep playing them. Not to belabor the point (many other posters have done a fine job of making the point originally), but you WANT these players...nay, you NEED these players...at your table...every time.

I get as upset as the next person when I get beat bad, but I'm trying to do a better job of taking the long term view. This is sometimes tough when you're getting beat by 2-outers, runners, other big favorites, and the like. It's also tough when on a bad streak.

Get your money in when you have the best of it...do it enough times and you'll win...eventually.

Play well,

CCC