Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 06:36 PM

Default questions on every street, backdooring a straight

I'm playing a live 30/60 game, 8 handed at the moment. Thinking LAGish player raises HJ, loose player coldcalls in the CO, TAG calls on the button. I look down at 99 in the SB and decide I have an equity edge and 3bet. BB folds, everyone else calls.

Flop comes down Q86r. I bet, LAG raises, loosey coldcalls, TAG folds, I call with the intention of reevaluating on the turn.

Turn is 7, completing the rainbow. I donk, LAG raises, loosey calls, I call.

River is a 5, I check. LAG bets, loosey raises, I overcall, LAG makes it 3, loosey reraises, there's a fivebet cap, I vomit and call.

Thoughts on any/all streets? I think the I should have checked the turn, in retrospect, because the 7 makes a lot of twopair type hands that loosey could have...my donk was not good, I feel. The river is kind of interesting as well, imho
Old 12-27-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: questions on every street, backdooring a straight

i dont like the preflop 3bet with 99 OOP after two cold callers.

your play on the flop and turn seems good, i like both donks. the river is tough, although i call too, hopefully you chopped.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:56 PM

Yikes.

I typically would not 3-bet this preflop, opting instead to call and see what the flop brings. You may have the best hand right now, but with that many opponents, you are really vulnerable to overcards, and you have no way of pushing out anyone who is already in. Calling also allows you to keep the pot smaller, which may help you later if you need to push people out.

Given that you 3-bet preflop, I agree with your flop bet, and you have to call the raise simply because you're getting 18:1. But you're essentially playing for a set or some sort of runner-runner straight at this point.

Now the turn is where I really dislike your play. What's the point of the donk bet? Are you betting for value? I can't see how, unless you think they're both on draws on this rainbow board. Do you think your bet will fold a guy who raised the flop or a guy who cold-called? Again, I can't see how. If anything, you wouldn't necessarily mind it getting checked through, though even that is unlikely to happen. And if it does get checked to the last guy who then bets, you might even opt for a move like a check-raise, thereby putting pressure on the LAG if he does in fact have you beat right now. The donkbet just makes no sense here, and putting in 2 bets here sucks.

The river is a whole other story. Now you need to bet because no one will bet unless he has the straight himself. Going for a check-raise doesn't make much sense because you'll whiff far too often. And then you can end up in situations like these. I hope you at least split the pot.....
Old 12-28-2005, 08:02 AM

I think we're chopping at worst here. There's been a ton of action already, a T9 isn't going to be skulking around on the turn he'll let you know about him. Just [censored] 5bet the river and exepect to at worst chop and at best take down a huge pot.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM

LAG's line on the river looks a lot like T9 and I can see T9 playing the flop/turn that way. Especially if he's LAG.

The turn I would check-call and I would lead the river and call 3bets.

With your line I would 3bet it when it comes back around to me and call a capp.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:57 AM

does LAG like to make big folds?

EDIT: if so cap riv obviously.