Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Live 10/20 deep stack hand facing an AI on the river

Live private game with some very good players. The blinds are 10/20 but there is no cap and it plays alot more like a 100/200 game.

I bought in short $5k (taking a shot at the big game again) and have been playing for about 7 hours at this point. I nut peddled until I was up to about $18k, where I changed gears and got TAG/LAG'ish. I have not shown down one hand that wasn't the nuts, second or third nuts all session.

9 handed, I am UTG+2 with AA and about $23k, villian is on the button with ~$50k and is a name player (dont ask I can tell). He is tricky, aggressive and running very good since the WSOP. I have seen him make some BIG moves with air and the nuts...

PF: folds to me, I make the table standard raise of 200, folds to the button who smooth calls, blinds fold.

Flop: 555, I lead for $600, villian pops it to $2500. I tank, his flat call from the button could be any two cards including the case 5, I can not put him on a hand but have a hunch he has a big pair (but nothing too strong of a read/feeling here), and for lack of a better line call.

Turn: K, I check, he checks. I was looking for a C/R here, but he did not play along...

River: K, I tank and lead with $3500, villian is insta AI. The little voice in the back of my mind is saying "he has queens, your hand is good".

Hero?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Live 10/20 deep stack hand facing an AI on the river

Hero?

wakes up from his little dream
Old 09-14-2005, 12:23 AM

this should be good.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:24 AM

Hi Percula,

This sounds like a frickin' awesome experience. As for whether your hand is good, who the hell knows better than you in this spot? You can only beat a bluff here, though I suppose you know that. Don't you think he makes this play with quads, knowing it's tough to fold a K here? Of course, he made a nice flop raise if he has quads. I believe he could've read you for a very big pair pre-flop, and thought you might bite. On the info you've given, I definitely fold on the river, though I do like to listen to the little voice as well.

I really don't know why you bet the river, though. Checking with the intention of calling does a lot better here, I think, and he's unlikely to push with any hand (stone bluff through nuts) in that event, so you don't have to decide whether to catch a WCP's bluff for all your chips.

You're in a bad spot here, because the table probably still thinks you're playing very tightly. Thus, he "knows" you can't have a 5, but he obviously can have any 2 cards to call a $200 open-raise when he covers your 23k.

I hope that it worked out, and barring that, I hope you learned some valuable stuff.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 AM

Hi P,

Also, I just read some of your other posts, and I recommend you ask the folks at this private game to get it out of the mud. If you're beating the micro-limits online, you ought to be ready for at least 200-400 NL; see if they'll bump it up and stop wasting your time. And great call, I assume.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi P,

Also, I just read some of your other posts, and I recommend you ask the folks at this private game to get it out of the mud. If you're beating the micro-limits online, you ought to be ready for at least 200-400 NL; see if they'll bump it up and stop wasting your time. And great call, I assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play mostly live here in AZ, the land of no NL. I have had a great run playing the MTT and 5-150 spread limit here. I ran a $2k roll up to over $30k since the fisrt of the year. The last few weeks I have been running very badly or playing very baddly and decided to get back online at the bottom and "learn poker" over again.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 AM

LMFAO! Who plays micros then posts this story? I mean really? wtf?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lololol i went to vegas and beat the 4k/8k game to the tune of 1/2 mil. what soft spots.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:26 AM

I think I call this bet if the villain knows that I wouldn't call his flop raise with overcards. Its an excellent move on the villains part b/c if you didn't call with overs there are only two hands that aren't a chop are Quad Kings and AA. This makes this an excellent place to be bully at very low risk. If he woke up with a k or a 5 that sucks but I think given the pot odds you got to call.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least we know he's less likely to be a gambling addict. Kudos if you can concentrate on .15/.30 cent NL after playing KGB. While you may be a drastic person about relearning poker, etc. maybe play some NL 200 at party.