Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have him learn chess.

[/ QUOTE ] Because no marriages ever spilt over father's obsessions with their children's chess careers, eh? How much time do you spend around first generation E Euro or Russian immigrants famlies?

[/ QUOTE ]

OP lives in the US I suspect. Courts are in US I suspect. Poker is illegal in US I know. OP - dowutchalike. I don't know dick about your family life and am absolutely unqualified to comment on it. I just have first hand knowledge of a marriage breaking up and to some extent the father's lack of discouraging his <10 year old son's poker career had an impact on the outcome. If somebody had warned the father, things might have worked out differently to a degree.

I don't think the tension is because of the father's drive to make his son into a world class player, but that the wife doesn't like that he plays in the first place.

Have you considered the more serious risks you are taking. Imagine your kid starts mouthing off at school and the teacher overhears. This is a poker forum but think of the general public's view on poker and how they would feel about a 9 year old kid playing, expecially the police or social services!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM

I think what you should do is sit down with a pen and paper and figure out how many hours per week a "normal" kid should engage in different activities, then figure out how many hours per week your kid is spending on different activities. Then you can figure out what activities poker is taking away from. If it's taking away from video games or car-jacking (most 9-year-olds these days spend roughly 3 hours per week car-jacking), then great. If it's taking away from homework or socialization, then that's bad. Pretty simple. Adjust his time accordingly.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your wife is a wise person by the sounds of it

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you know the answer to this, but you're looking for someone else to be the goat so you can say "son, I'd like to let you keep playing poker, but some others do not think it's good for you...".

Children should not be participating in poker and parents should act like parents--quit trying to be you child's best friend and learn to say "NO" occasionally. A child needs to be a child, do not rush him into adulthood so early. A 9 year-old should be running in the woods, hunting, fishing, building tree houses, playing football in the yard, etc.

In taking on the responsibilities of becoming a parent, you have to guide your child with a solid foundation of rules of society and hope that when he is turned loose into this f'd up world, they learn to make proper decisions on their own based upon what you as his parent have taught him.

Sounds like you are teaching him to make poor decisions from an early age--where can he go from here?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 9 year-old should be running in the woods, hunting, fishing, building tree houses, playing football in the yard, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, your 9 year old kid needs to running around with a gun shooting stuff, not engaging in dangerous activities like poker!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you are teaching him to make +EV decisions from an early age-- How can it go wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-23-2005, 05:20 PM

OMG poker is turning into chess!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get him a 2nd mom for Christmas and start paying off the mortgage.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-23-2005, 05:46 PM

1. I'm quite depressed that the guy outplaying me and raking my chips might be a nine year old boy.

2. I encourage you to encourage him not to discuss this with his teacher/principal/schoolmates.

3. I hope you've taken the time to educate him about money and bankroll management.

4. I hope you've discussed gambling addiction in great detail with him.

5. I hope you monitor his online activities very closely.