Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 08-18-2005, 09:34 PM

Default On the bubble

$30+3, started with 10 people down to 4. Blinds 75/150, 2 hands till blinds go to $100/200. On the SB with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and $808 in chips after posting. BB has $299 left and doubled up on me last round beating my AJ with K4 (hit 3 4's). UTG has $3153, button has $5515 and has been bullying the small stacks. I'd stood up to the button a few times doubling up but he's made it difficult to call an all in with Q2o and 94 suited.

UTG folds
Button raises to T600, a typical move for him with a hand that had a 50/50 shot against a random hand.

What do you do?

a. Push your remaining $808 knowing he's going to call since he's only in for another $200?

b. Fold and hope the BB calls and looses or at worst gives up his blinds?

c. Call the $600 and see what hits on the flop since you'll have the button on the next hand?

The BB was very very conservative. The only reason he'd pushed in before was because he didn't have enough left to post the SB on his next hand so I doubted he'd call the raise. If I fold and the BB folds, he doesn't have enough left to make it through the blinds but I don't have much left either so if he manages to survive now I'm in deep trouble. I figured it was time to roll the dice as I was at worst a 3:1 dog against an over pair and if I double up I have a much better shot at outlasting the BB and possibly winning.

Board ended up 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], he won with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] vs my TT.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: On the bubble

It's somewhat confusing to read that text compared to a standard hand history type of explanation, but unless I'm missing something it looks like a clear fold.

edit... on second thought, I lean towards pushing if villain really is raising with that wide a range of hands.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 PM

Easy push.

Play for the win and settle for 3rd (in this case 4th).

You have the 5th best starting hand in poker.

You will probably get your money in with the best hand (which you did) and better than 2 to 1 pot odds.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:52 PM

Doubling up does not only increase your chance of first, but also greatly increases your chances of second and third.

I think you need to call here, so BB feels like he has to come along for the ride, because you're not a goner if you lose, plus on a good flop, you can get Villain to fold a 3 outer getting huge pot odds.

I think it's a very clear stop and go.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:58 PM

I would have folded. AK, AA, KK, QQ I wouldn't have though.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:00 PM

i cant see how the big stack would fold to a stop and go with so many chips and such good odds... especially if the BB comes along for the ride. by the way, is the BB left with 299 after posting or before?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:03 PM

While calling may leave you a chip and a chair if for some reason you decide to fold the flop - which you aren't going to do - how is your 208 all-in after the flop going to make Villain AND BB fold an 1800 pot?

very confused - w
Old 08-19-2005, 01:08 AM

Sorry, this was on Pacific so I did the best I could.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:10 AM

299 after posting his blind so if I do a call-fold, I'm all in next time the BB gets too me and he has a good chance to outlast me.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:11 AM

If BB calls, he's all-in and its going to the river. No way I see the button fold to the 209 raise and he'd probably go ahead and push on anything with the odds he's getting and the chip stack he has.