Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Strategy for $1/$2 blinds in $4/$8 game

last time i was at sams town in LV, the blinds were $1/$2 in a $4/$8 game (UTG could call $2, or raise to $6). 99% of my poker play comes from the internet with "normal" blinds. How does this affect strategy? Should i limp with Axs and suited connectors earlier? Even fearing a raise, it's only $6 into a $4/$8 game, not bad holding 87s in a multiway pot.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Strategy for $1/$2 blinds in $4/$8 game

basically your implied odds go way up. be more willing to play hands like suited aces like you said, small pairs, and suited connectors like 65s, 98s, etc. you probably shouldn't be playing many unsuited big cards in multiway pots, since the other players will then be getting implied odds from you.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even fearing a raise, it's only $6 into a $4/$8 game, not bad holding 87s in a multiway pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need to gage how the PF betting goes. These small suited connectors are especially good in multiway pots, but the few $1/$2 blind games that I played in had a tendency of really getting narrowed down when a raise is put in. If you expect a raise, don't play them early because these pots may not be too multiway.

Say you're in the BB w/ 87s and there are four limps to button who raises. SB fold and its up to you. w/ a regular blind structure its an easy call--there will be plenty of players to pay you the one in 10 times or so it hits you pretty hard. That is bc. in a regular blind structure the pot is so big that it would be crazy not to put another bet in and see the flop. W/ a $2 big blind in a 4/8 game you could lose 3 out of four of the limpers. It happens. Not at all tables but you will be able to tell.

My advise is to be a little more liberal in your limps and much more tight in your calling of PF raises.

Also I think raising standard should be more liberal w/ big cards in position and medium pairs. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but here it is ok to raise 3 limpers w/ KJo if you think that you will lose a couple of them. I am sure of this though, pay careful attention to pre-flop play, how you adjust to it will make a huge difference in your results. You will see big hands shown down in the pots w/ 7 limpers and lots of people calling bets w/ otherwise reasonable hands that have no chance here.

I, personally think that structure sucks, but maybe it is bc. I haven't adjusted to it well enough. I'm not sure why it is so popular in vegas. I guess it is so the retirees can come, drink free tea, play tight as frogpussy and wait for novices who want action. Those old bones keep the games going.

I would recomend a game in a room that has big blinds=small bet. (Mirage, Bellagio, Sahara?) There are some left. Maybe someone else can help if you wanted to play somewhere else.

Have fun,

PT
Old 05-22-2004, 07:37 AM

just how tight is frog pussy?
Old 05-23-2004, 09:31 AM

I played in such a game in April at the Hilton in Reno. It was NOT tight. As other posters said, you could loosen up and limp more hands. The players would still call with a piece of the flop, so even though some pots started off pretty small, I didn't find getting paid off a big problem.