Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 AM

Default overpair flop decision vs TAG

My opponent in this hand had stats of 16.6/3.9/2.3 with a WTSD of 23 over 259 hands.

I felt I had to raise this flop to avoid letting draws see a another card cheaply, but I was totally puzzled as to what he held when he pushed on me. Will an aggressive player really play a set this fast? Would he really three-bet the flop with a lower overpair than mine (this seemed very unlikely to me)? 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] seem possible, but since I am a slight dog to these and a tremendous dog to a set it didn't seem like I have enough equity on average to make this call.

Help with regards to figuring out this guy's hand range would be most appreciated. Also what is my plan if he just calls my flop raise and checks to me on the turn? The board just seemed too draw heavy to give a free card, and the pot was going to be already quite large at that point.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($204.4)
Button ($243.42)
SB ($197.7)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $8, SB (poster) calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($26) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, Button folds, SB is all-in $140 more,
Old 06-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: overpair flop decision vs TAG

he has a set, no question. his stats are too tight to be playing even an OESFD that aggressively.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 AM

I play it like you did and fold it for the reasons you stated. If he flat calls your raise I check behind on the turn for pot control.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he has a set, no question. his stats are too tight to be playing even an OESFD that aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. This implies that this kind of player would expect a call from AA-QQ/A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fairly frequently at this level?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is interesting. This implies that this kind of player would expect a call from AA-QQ/A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] fairly frequently at this level?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:49 AM

I don't agree that he definitely has a set based on those numbers but I still think you have to fold. A set is his most likley holding but something like AhKh is a very real possibility, too (the OESFD is less likely than the overs+flush draw). In any case, the question is if you're flipping coins (with AhKh or an OESFD) or way behind to a set. While you'd have odds to call if he showed you the big draw, you don't have anywhere near odds against his total range (1 way to have AhKh, 6 ways to have one of the three sets on board).