Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Rick Nebiolo asked me to post this e-mail

[ QUOTE ]
(Irrationally people will CONSISTENTLY bet their middle pair here, glad to have hit the flop and expecting that all their opponents will bow to this inevitability and fold their overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, but "people" will consistently bet stronger hands too, like two pair, top pair, sets, and a straight draw. Weak early callers will call with hands they have no business playing but they will also call with draws and strong hands (with the intention of raising later). Sometimes they call with weak tens, but even a weak ten dominates the T-3. The only disagreement concerns how often. My experience is that you are very rarely ahead of a bet and three callers with top pair no kicker. But then I don't play much online [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
Rick, would it be too results-oriented for me to point out that SB folded his "big hand or big draw" on the turn for one bet? It's at least one data point, and Q8o is another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Wondering when Rick will snap and acknowledge that Mike L. is playing against truly inferior opponents, whose inferiority ACTUALLY manifests itself in loose, speculative play,

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree regarding mike l. opponents, but when you have four of them all it takes is one to have a hand that dominates yours and you are in bad shape. Meanwhile, even the weaker hands have a chance to blunder ahead. You rarely have a chance to make a play to drive out a better hand because they rarely fold a better hand, even to a turn raise. The fact thay it may have happened (could the SB fold T8 to mike's turn raise?) is irrelevant.

In the final analysis I agree that it may be closer than I originally thought (i'd call the flop for a ten percent instead of 33 percent discount}. I do think we have been affected by results. Divorce results [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

~ Rick

PS You have written some good posts. Sorry it takes me long to respond. Was tied up most of today and may be tied up tomorrow but i'll try to get back when I can.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Johnnie\'s Pastrami

[ QUOTE ]
Johnnie's has GREAT chili cheese fries. Very good pastrami(w/ the hot mustard). Everything else is ok, too. And tables that you can fit 8 people around in the outdoor seating area. Plus, it is very close to HP(10 minute drive, off the 405/10) and Pink's is kinda not freeway friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the place. Like Pink's but love the idea of a big circular booth - great for converstation and the good greasy food will make it even better.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I had to put my $.02 in there since I got back from eating lunch there. Now I'm at my desk and haven't been able to do much work since.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Internet and 2+2 was around in the eighties (when I had a cubicle job) I would have been totally useless to my employer. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 09-23-2004, 01:49 AM

Which Sunday...? I've got NFL Sunday Ticket, so I might skip the Clippers game in favor of football, but I'm up for a good deli sandwich and poker! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2004, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also got the fourth installment of the patrick o'brien (master and commander) novels. am really looking forward to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,

If you like Patrick O'Brien, you might want to check out Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels. Napoleonic-era land warfare, primarily Wellington's Peninsular campaigns. Cornwell also did the Starbuck series about the U.S. Civil War, if you're more interested in that.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you like Patrick O'Brien, you might want to check out Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels. Napoleonic-era land warfare, primarily Wellington's Peninsular campaigns. Cornwell also did the Starbuck series about the U.S. Civil War, if you're more interested in that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put one of the Starbuck series books in my Amazon wish list. I'll be sure to look it up later since I like Civil War stuff.

You must have read the Shaara trilogy on the Civil War (Gods and Generals, Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure). IF you did, how does Cornwell compare?

~ Rick
Old 09-23-2004, 11:16 AM

Cornwell is more focused on the battle itself rather than the cast of characters (though everything is seen through the experiences of his main character). He's a stickler for doing the historical research as well. It's definitely closer to Killer Angels than the two written by Shaara's son, in that each book focuses on one particular battle or campaign event. I personally liked them better than the Shaara books, but reasonable people might disagree.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:15 PM

A Pink's fanatic who also plays ping-pong? You are officially my hero.