Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Question about my biggest leak

Ok, after playing several thousand hands, I am starting to really see where my strengths and weaknesses are, and have noticed a few glaring leaks in my game. The first is just patience and self-control late in the game, especially when I have a large stack. I have already got started against this one. I have mostly worked through my tilting issue, with good play, more studying, more reading, and playing nano-limit cash HE. These I have mostly figured out how to deal with, particularly with some of the advice I have received on these forums. The biggest problem I am having now is what typically is getting me knocked out of tournaments, be them of the small home game variety, MTT SnGs or MTTs. Medium pairs (7s-Ts) have been my downfall. I typically only like to play them on the blinds and MP2 or later, usually raise them 3-5x BB. I then have two problems I run into: What do I do if the BB shows strength and puts in a large reraise? And, what to do when it is called by one or more players, and one or more overcards appear on the board, particularly when I am out of position. Typically, in those two situations, what is the best way to handle it, barring any read on your opponent?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Question about my biggest leak

With medium pairs, it is far better to be the one going all in with that hand than to be the one calling an all in. If you have a hand like that, and the flop comes with an overcard, if you are in position and they check to you, put in a continuation bet, because noone has shown you any sign that you are beaten. If they call or raise, you can get away from your hand without committing any more chips, and if they fold, you win a pot. If you are out of position and made the raise and they called, then put out a continuation bet also, and play it the same, although since you are out of position, it's alot more dangerous for you since if they call on a draw and the turn doesn't help, its very hard to fire a second barrel into a pot like that, and a check is going to force you off the pot with the best hand when they bet your weak check.

For pairs like that, early, limp with them for set value, in middle position first in, raise with 99 or TT, and late position first in, raise with all of them. In a multiway pot, you want to hit a set with these hands. Heads up against 1 opponent, it's very important to have position so you know what your opponent is going to do before you decide on your move, which could be bet to take down a pot.