Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 04:30 PM

Default An open letter to Mat Sklansky

I am writing this in an open letter form and not a PM for these reasons.

1) I want Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Ray Zee to see this.
2) I feel one thing the forum is severely lacking is communication not only between moderators and users, but between moderators themselves. I believe this causes a lot of problems and I hope this letter will help alleviate them.
3) 2+2 is an excellent place for discussion; hopefully this thread will help spur high quality discussion on this topic.

Although 2+2 started as a small friendly group of posters and poker players it has recently grown to become a large and successful business. Since it is a business it should be treated like a business. Your priorities should be in this order:

1) Avoid litigation
2) Attract as many advertisers as possible by having as large of a user base as possible.
3) Make 2+2 friendly enough to advertisers so none of them get scared away by it’s controversial content.
4) Allow enough controversial content to keep 2+2 interesting and people active in the forums.
5) Keep people interested enough in poker so they keep on buying books. Depending on revenues of books vs income via ads, and where the ads are coming from, this may be more important than #4.
6) Keep people interested in playing poker. Making them good at poker isn’t all that relevant. The money for your ads comes from rake. Most of the rake comes from losing players.
7) Keeping up good communication between the mods to make sure that the posters know the rules and the mods can discuss situations.

These are the cold hard facts.

Problem 1) avoid litigation

Earlier today a poster with only 1 year of law school under her belt represented herself as a legal expert. This is highly dangerous for a multitude of reasons. First of all it was very poor advice. Second she was giving law advice, representing herself as an expert, without a license. You can not afford to listen to bad advice. Going too lenient will eventually land you with a lawsuit. Becoming too strict will push away posters which will make you lose advertisement revenue. Both situations are a losing scenario.

I strongly urge David Sklansky, Ed Miller and Ray Zee to hire a lawyer to give Mat advice. You should talk to a lawyer that has experience in this specific field and not somebody fresh out of law school let alone a first year law student. I suggest that you do not look up a random lawyer, but find a good one, and then have him refer you to one that specializes in the field. For instance, talking to a friendly prosecutor is often a good way to find a good defense attorney.

Once you have found a lawyer discuss what you can and can not post. You should know your limits beyond a shadow of a doubt. 2+2 is too big, and too profitable, not to spend money on an hours worth of legal advice.

Problem 2) Attract as many advertisers as possible by having as large of a user base as possible.
Problem 4) Allow enough controversial content to keep 2+2 interesting and people active in the forums.

These should be self explanatory. Keep 2+2 interesting and people will remain active.

Problem 3) Make 2+2 friendly enough to advertisers so none of them get scared away by it’s controversial content.

This should be simple. Let the advertisers know you filter out specific words. You are already doing this. You also need to let them know that the moderators are not official employees of 2+2. They do not receive a paycheck. Their opinions are not representative of 2+2, nor should they be. They are merely volunteers that are helping 2+2 avoid litigation. If an advertiser feels differently, you can change your stance on this. Until then, this might be a good default course of action.

Problem 5&6) These are poker problems which are handled by the forums and indirectly OOT and politics.

Problem 7) A private forum is needed for the moderators to discuss situations and not to question your reasoning out in public. More communication is needed in the moderation and administration community. A public forum is also needed to allow people to make complaints or discuss why threads were deleted.

If anyone else has anything else to add, I suggest they do it here in the most constructive manner possible. If anyone makes a troll like reply, I suggest other posters ignore them.

Mat, I wish you, Ray Zee, and the rest of the 2+2 empire the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Wacki

Sorry if there are grammar mistakes. I spent way too much time on this as is.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: An open letter to Mat Sklansky

good post wacki.

I have a question. Isn't mason the owner of 2+2? Shouldnt he be the only one with a say, who cares what david, ray and ed think?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:46 PM

Very good post.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good post wacki.

I have a question. Isn't mason the owner of 2+2? Shouldnt he be the only one with a say, who cares what david, ray and ed think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that mason does.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:48 PM

My concern is it's going to reach a point where it may be easier to get rid of the other other topics forum than it would be to attempt to moderate it.

If it ends up going this route, it's a sad sad day in OOTville.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:48 PM

I cannot stress this enough. Everyone needs to let this go as far as OOT topic.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
good post wacki.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that mason does.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. I didn't quite mean it like that tho. I just mean like if mason is the owner of 2+2 (which I could be very wrong about), then shouldnt this be an open letter to Mason? Not saying he wont take the advice of the other people involved, but isnt the final say his?

Im just asking, because I think mat gets alot of the blame for things around here, when mat is just an employee and nothing more (at least thats what I understood, but I could be wrong, which is why I asked).
Old 08-09-2005, 04:51 PM

I don't know. I do know that Ed Miller is afraid of a lawsuit.

My general point is that if 2+2 is a business, the only opinions that matter are the posters and the advertisers. That's it.

Extreme example:

Pretend Mason is the sole owner, if his opinions conflict with the opinions of the majority of the posters and he acts on them, he is losing business.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Great post. You forgot to add a line about restoring my russian bride post. It was a classic and quite entertaining.

Indy
Old 08-09-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot stress this enough. Everyone needs to let this go as far as OOT topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. I'm still baffled by how upset people appear to be getting based on a few posts that have been deleted, and accounts locked. It's an internet forum! I feel bad for those who have nothing better to do than complain about OOT (not necessarily directed at wacki as much as some of the other posters here).

My 2 cents.