Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Transfer from full ring game (10) to 6. max. (100-200)NL

I've played at 100NL, full (10) 2-3 tabling with success (about 5 PTBB/100h), and some 5$ MTT (freeze-out) without much success.

I've thought about shifting to 100NL 6 max. for some time now, because off the number off hands you play - if i could make the same PTBB/100h i would make more money (and rakeback).

Will a good 6. max 100NL-player obtain about the same PTBB/100h compared to a similar good 10.max 100 nl-player ?

I have a friend who have played 200NL 6. max.(4-tabling) for a couple of years and he is doing very very good indeed.

He has been playing MTT 10$ rebuys for a couple of month, and made a lot there too, won 3rd two nights ago netting 2000$.

He has qualified for a 485$ (EPT)-satelite to EPT in Copenhagen in january - so he obviously has a great feel for tournament play as well.

He don't like full games, because he thinks that; to often good hands are beaten by better hands.

Here it comes: He has never read a pokerbook, don't now about this forum (or other relevant - is there any [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and never heard of PokerTracker!!

I have watched him play, and i think the 6.max. is a totally different game. When people are posting in here it is not allways clear if they are playing 10 or 6 games.

I feel confident in 10 games, but totally ignorent in 6. max.

How can he go from playing 6. max by intuition, to be a very good MTT'er too without reading???

Am i just stupid in not being able to transform my 10 game succes into 6.max. success, without to much trouble ??

Obviously, you have to play more hands; but it is not at all obvious to me what the reduced number of players mean in regards to position, the value of starting hands etc.

Hope someone can give me some pointers in becoming a winning 6.max. player.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Transfer from full ring game (10) to 6. max. (100-200)NL

You might want to experiment with 6max at a lower limit, $25 or $50 to get a feel for the game. Loosen your starting requirements a bit. Steal blinds more often, and your overall aggressiveness. Read these forums. Most threads will specify if the game is shorthanded. Good luck.