Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Tough Spot

5/5 NL Local Game

Hero ~ $1200
Villain ~ $1500

I have a good image at the table and respect from just about everyone. Villain and I are well-acquainted and he is the best player at this table and respects me, but is apt to make a move on me because he likes to prove he has testicular fortitude at the table from time to time.

Hero dealt J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in UTG +1

Hero raises to $30, folded to Villain in MP who calls, LAG on button calls, blinds fold.

FLOP ($105): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $100, Villain raises to $225, button folds.

What is my best move here? Raise was my immediate thought as there is a solid chance he could be making this play with nut diamonds as well as two pair like KQ or QJs. Do I wanna raise here and pot-commit myself on the flop or check-raise the turn all-in (it is almost certain he will bet diamonds even if he doesn't get there on 4th street)?

Results to follow if interest/posts merits them.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:19 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.
Default Re: Tough Spot

A.) What do you mean by "good table image?" I want people to think I'm a fish, but I know a lot of others who want to be thought of as tight-aggressive sharks.

B.) I think you need to move in here. You would've been re-raised by KK or QQ. If you really feel that Villian has AT or T9, you need to be raising more up front to get rid of him or limp in.

I think you need to push because consider how many times he'll call you with KQ, AK, or TT and it makes up for your losses. You do have 6 outs to hit the turn and if you miss, 9 outs on the river. He's got the same odds with a KQ, but only 4 outs with AK, 8 with TT, with runner-runner draws on both that you don't need to fear.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Good point on the image. To this point in the night I have gotten all-in with the best hand twice and been run down both times and besides that haven't had to show down anything bad at all.

The real point here is that since the Villain and I know one another so well it really doesn't matter, as he knows how I play for the most part: solid preflop and pretty conservative after.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 AM

Smells of AA or AK to me, he wants to know cheaply if you have a set, while squeezing out button and any naked naked 10 he might have. So call as if you have AK, and bet a good amount on the turn, dont fear diamonds. All his losing hands pay you off.(Check/fold a 10 he bets here with only better hands, and check/? an A)
Old 04-13-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Smells of AA or AK to me, he wants to know cheaply if you have a set, while squeezing out button and any naked naked 10 he might have. So call as if you have AK, and bet a good amount on the turn, dont fear diamonds. All his losing hands pay you off.(Check/fold a 10 he bets here with
only better hands, and check/? an A)
I don't agree with the calling bit like you have AK,then folding if the 10 hits. That to me does'nt make sense because if ur representing AK with the call then throwing away when the 10 hits is not right If u call then u gotta bet on the 10. Also you dont wanna represent AK here because he probably has AK,check/fold if the 10 hits . I think you're still in good shape if an A hits, because he probably has AK and thinks he has u beat
Old 04-13-2005, 09:43 AM

sigh
Old 04-13-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

my sentiments exactly.

still don't know what i think of the hand but i was pleased with the opportunity to read the least coherent advice ever given.

As for the hand... would villain cold call you with KK or QQ preflop? rabbit said it smelled like AA or AK but if he's capable of cold calling AA preflop i see KK and QQ as likely possibilities as well and then i don't really know what to think.

I was going to advocate putting in a 3rd bet and folding to an all in, but that sucks because if he has the straight you then have odds to pair. maybe if you call this then lead a blank turn for 400 and then fold to an all in? If the board doesn't pair the turn and he is still pushing hard at that point, I can't see what you could be ahead of. so yeah. call here, lead for 3-400 on any blank, non-pair turn. if the turn is a pair then it is less likely he had a set and you can go from there assuming you were best.

if a 10 were to come, i wouldn't necessarily check fold. if he gave you a not too bad price, you might consider cold calling then pushing a paired turn trying to represent the A trying to get him off a split. but obviously that's only if he prices you in.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rabbit said it smelled like AA or AK but if he's capable of cold calling AA preflop i see KK and QQ as likely possibilities as well and then i don't really know what to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villians small raise suggests he isnt afraid of any turn card, (so also there's a good chance he has the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in his hand)...I agree there's a chance he has us dead, but it seems way less than 50% thus we cant fold, and we should play for stacks. Imho.