Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Added slowplaying to my arsenal today

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no, seriously, I slowplay more than 95% of the forum and probably you and you played this hand horribly

for starters, it requires < 5 people in the hand with you

[/ QUOTE ]

no it doesn't. just requires pot not be big.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to have a clear handle on things.

lol
Old 09-19-2005, 04:35 AM

Whatever you do, don't read Theory of Poker and please IM me your screen name.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:46 AM

From a previous post of mine. Let's vainly hope it makes some impact here?

Get Used to Being Wrong

As said before, you’re going to make a lot of mistakes – everyone does. What determines whether you’re going to be a great player or not usually is based on your reaction to when someone says you’re wrong. Do you brush it off and ignore it? Do you fight back with a blind fury of defenses? Or do you actively take in what they say, consider it, and figure out why one of you is not correct? One of those is going to help you learn, the others will keep your right where you are.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:26 AM

I think the basic problem is that your hand isn't that strong against 5 players drawing. If you hadn't hit your full house on the river you couldn't be sure You had the best hand. Another issue is that flushdrawers won't pay you when they don't hit on the river, it will be too late to get paid.
That's why you have to get paid while you're ahead and someone is willing to pay you.
Let me ask a question: If a random card other than the jack had hit on the river, would you still have claimed your price for trip A's ? What if a 7 had hit ? A club ? Most of the times the J won't come around on the river...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:34 AM

Slowplaying did nothing for you here. Your not gonna get paid by flush draws unless they hit you and have you beat. You hit one of the 3 jacks left for a full house. How often is that Jack gonna hit to fill your boat? Dont be stupid and get FPS just protect your hand and get chips. You dont have to be very tricky in the $22's.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:19 AM

I thought this whole thread was a joke, but the guy has almost 400 posts on his name. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
every new player plays this way. weak when strong, strong when weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to do the opposite every now and then: bet out with trips and other 'monsters' on the flop. The sad thing is that bad players (at $22's) will actually fold when you show strength on a paired flop, and they'll believe your slowplay, too. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 07:30 AM

This thread is funny
Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 AM

in this cash game instance--- did you ALWAYS call bets all the way to the river, then raise or fold--- or did you just do it when you flopped a big hand or a great draw?

i assure you that the only way someone wouldn't be able to get a read on you is if you played like a calling station all the time.

the only time you would be "unreadable" and profitable over the course of many sessions is at very passive tables--- from which you would most likely extract more chips by making them pay to see the next cards.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Ok, i've read your responses. Some were very good and thought out. Some were bad and from the usual teenage crowd who respond to every post with words such as "stupid" and make personal attacks.

I think there are two schools of thought here. One group is looking at the immediate hand. Getting paid now. That's fine. Nothing wrong wih it. The other group - which is just me I guess - is taking a more macro view and seeing one hand as part of a bigger session. I prefer to sometimes lose the battle but win the war (u know what i mean). Since I have started doing this, I have frozen the tables and taken control. Yes there is a problem with doing this on online poker since some don't pay attention, and if I notice that, then I abandon it.

p.s. If this was on the bubble, I'd have bet before the river.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the basic problem is that your hand isn't that strong against 5 players drawing. If you hadn't hit your full house on the river you couldn't be sure You had the best hand. Another issue is that flushdrawers won't pay you when they don't hit on the river, it will be too late to get paid.
That's why you have to get paid while you're ahead and someone is willing to pay you.
Let me ask a question: If a random card other than the jack had hit on the river, would you still have claimed your price for trip A's ? What if a 7 had hit ? A club ? Most of the times the J won't come around on the river...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good point. My theory is that with 5 guys, someone is going to see something they like. But I see your point.

Btw, there were two flush draws. So 50/50 shot I was gonna lose. Yeah if I bet enough to give bad pot odds, in theory I win even when I lose. But you know they are gonna call. And if I bet too much, no one calls and I make nothing (except for the tiny pot there now). Now, here's where it gets tricky: a 3rd suit does come. So, I have paid for turn bet and now I have to consider river bet - whereas if had never bet on turn, my stack is somewhat bigger. I know, this all goes against convention because turn bet is supposed to drive out others - but we both know often it doesnt (and I'm facing 50/50 here). And I assume Sklansky says that the math dictates I bet on turn - but poker is more than math; it's image and setting things up for future hands.