Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Another: Was this fold correct?

These give me fits too.

flop- Raise(I'm not giving him credit for a K yet)

turn- if called on flop, bet/fold to a re-raise.

river- if called on turn and checked to me check.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These give me fits too.

flop- Raise(I'm not giving him credit for a K yet)

turn- if called on flop, bet/fold to a re-raise.

river- if called on turn and checked to me check.

[/ QUOTE ]

right - but I understand what to do if re-raised. Like I said, that usually doesn't happen though. 90% of the time it seems that someone has a weak K and just check/calls the rest of the way. so should hero keep betting or not after the flop raise?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:52 PM

The general question in these hands is if you should raise the turn or not. Raising the flop doesn't really do much for you here.

You should probably raise this turn card. It is a good one for him to keep semi-bluffing on since it will be very hard for hands with 9's and 7's to call now. It is also a good one to get away from if he makes it 3-bets.

Brad
Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are ahead now you're ... putting in more money with likely a nonexistent or very slim equity edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this? With 4 players, if we are ahead our equity is slightly behind a flush draw, but waaaaaay ahead of anything else. If there are two flush draws out there, then we pull ahead.

I don't disagree that a smooth-call may be the best play, here, as I don't want to inflate the pot for the flush draws, etc., and regardless of whether we're ahead or behind our position could change drastically on the turn, but I think this equity idea of yours is way off the mark.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's my question in this (or any flop with one overcard to your high pocket) situation: If you raise, and villian has king-rag or has a good king and is a monster-seer, both of which constitute a large part of the possibility here, and just calls, which many micro players will do even with AK, what's the line, provided BB becomes expectedly meek and checks the turn to hero?

The reason that I'm asking this is generally in most uber-passive micro games, villian isn't going to reraise you so that you can drop your hand guiltlessly. More often that not, he just smooth calls if you bet the turn, and leads out on the river in the event that you check behind on the turn, as it now becomes evident that you have a K.

sorry if this is confusing, but I always have a tough time with this line - I know that raising is better than calling, but 90% of the time I have this situation, it's villain calls, I bet turn and river, villain wins with K4off, or it's turn checks around, villain bets, I call and villain wins with K4off.

Does this make any sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

ITS IMPORTANT WE ANSWER THIS AS A COMMUNITY SO IM GOING TO QUOTE IT AND TYPE THIS IN BOLD. TIME AND TIME AGAIN WE SEE THESE SITUATIONS, BUT MANY OF US STILL DONT KNOW HOW TO PLAY THEM.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:53 PM

In my opinion, if nothing else, a flop raise gives you some idea where you are

If you're 3-bet, you can probably throw your hand away (costing only 1BB)

If you're just called, and checked to on a safe card, you can bet the turn (folding to a check-raise of course), and judge after the river card whether a river value bet is +EV or not. If someone bets out on a turn scare card, you can fold the turn pretty easily.

Waiting for the turn makes it more expensive to see where we stand, and, odds-wise, hardly any more effective with the same action as the flop.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, if nothing else, a flop raise gives you some idea where you are

If you're 3-bet, you can probably throw your hand away (costing only 1BB)

If you're just called, and checked to on a safe card, you can bet the turn (folding to a check-raise of course), and judge after the river card whether a river value bet is +EV or not. If someone bets out on a turn scare card, you can fold the turn pretty easily.

Waiting for the turn makes it more expensive to see where we stand, and, odds-wise, hardly any more effective with the same action as the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - again, I completely agree that if anyone raises us at any point, we can drop the hand no question. But in many micros, and even moreso in live low-limit play, no one is 3-betting EVER w/o 2-pair or a set.

So I understand the merits of raising either the flop or a turn blank (depending on the specifics of the situation), but if we don't get three bet, and simply are called, I'm wondering what our line is from there?