Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Weird AJ hand, 1/2 6M

MP here is somewhat tricky. He has played a few hands deceptively and is definitely a thinking player even though his vpip is too high (36/15). MP has also shown that he can release his hand if he thinks he's beat. BB is fairly loose, and is pretty much an ABC player. He's not aggressive at all and plays too many hands too far.

The table has been a little tight, with most players feeding off one fish. There has been some good action, but multiway pots that are played aggressively see folds more than call downs.

My table image is a little loose but definitely aggressive. I have been getting good cards and raising pf a lot. I think that at least MP is aware of this and maybe BB. I haven't shown down a ton of hands so they might think i'm full of it. This is the one thing that makes me think I might be ahead here, but I doubt it.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

This play immediately sparked my interest. MP called then 3 bet which tells me he has a pretty powerful hand.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

I figured I was OOP and didn't want to get raised here so I checked the flop planning to call if it was 1 bet to me. If its 2 back to me I plan to fold knowing that I'm beat. But it gets checked through and to the turn we go.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

I'm not sure why I bet the turn here. In retrospect I'm pretty sure I was beat. This is not a good place to bet with my hand given that I am OOP. Once MP raises I'm almost sure I'm beat. He could be making this play with AK or any PP AA-99 IMO.
River: (9.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Thoughts?

Durs
Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Weird AJ hand, 1/2 6M

I think you nailed this one yourself. Don't lead the turn, everything else is fine.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Looks like MP took advantage of your agressive tendencies with the turn action, and checked the flop patiently waiting for your turn bet. Is this the first time he's 3bet you? And had you been playing whiffed overcards c/c flop and lead out the turn?

I think he played goot and you've got to lay it down. May need to lay off the turn bet UI against MP in future especially when he raises PF.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like MP took advantage of your agressive tendencies with the turn action, and checked the flop patiently waiting for your turn bet. Is this the first time he's 3bet you? And had you been playing whiffed overcards c/c flop and lead out the turn?

I think he played goot and you've got to lay it down. May need to lay off the turn bet UI against MP in future especially when he raises PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis. I had been mixing it up between betting and checking UI overs on the flop. I agree that he took advantage of my aggressiveness PF in order to get BB in the hand as well.

After I hit the bet button on the turn I immediately said "oops" outloud.

Durs
Old 08-04-2005, 05:02 PM

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it..

A funny thing though... When I tried putting MP on a hand, I found that he could have 3 hands where this line would be correct. But then I reread your post, and found that you had the key card that those 3 hands would have in common [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT - but the preflop call might have been incorrect with those hands as well, unless he's pretty certain someone else will raise...