Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Too aggressive w/ AA?

Villain is an unknown. Only played 14 hands with him total.

Relevant stacks:
Hero - 103
SB - 118

Prima 0.50/1 - 6max - 5 players
Hero is in BB w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero <font color="red"> raises </font> to $6, Button folds, SB calls

($12.50) Flop (2 Players): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB bets $8, Hero <font color="red"> raises </font> to $25, SB calls.

($62.50) Turn (2 Players): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB bets $16, Hero <font color="red"> raises (all-in) </font> to $73.

On the flop I put villain on either a flush draw or a weak K. I did NOT reconsider my read on the turn. But in hind sight, his play looks a little more like a flopped straight.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive w/ AA?

actually that weak turn lead looks just like someone trying to price themselves into the flush draw in the hopes that you won't raise the turn bet. There is no way i'd play a flopped straight this way on that board....i guess a donkey would.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:49 PM

I agree and I like the turn raise.

Dumle
Old 09-29-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
actually that weak turn lead looks just like someone trying to price themselves into the flush draw in the hopes that you won't raise the turn bet. There is no way i'd play a flopped straight this way on that board....i guess a donkey would.

[/ QUOTE ]

while I agree with your assessment on the turn bet, I'm curious to know why you think the flop action with a flopped straight is bad?

lead in to preflop raiser for 2/3 pot with the flopped straight on a K high board where I very well might get raised? seems pretty good to me.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while I agree with your assessment on the turn bet, I'm curious to know why you think the flop action with a flopped straight is bad?

lead in to preflop raiser for 2/3 pot with the flopped straight on a K high board where I very well might get raised? seems pretty good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure leading into the preflop raiser is fine....but once you get raised then I'd either repop the flop or lead the turn for a lot more than 1/5 the pot...don't you agree? If I had flopped the straight I'd probably reraise the flop on this board....at a minimum i'd near pot the turn.

Edit - seems this is amoeba's day to disagree with everything I say.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure leading into the preflop raiser is fine....but once you get raised then I'd either repop the flop or lead the turn for a lot more than 1/5 the pot...don't you agree? If I had flopped the straight I'd probably reraise the flop on this board....at a minimum i'd near pot the turn.

Edit - seems this is amoeba's day to disagree with everything I say.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha. no I didn't mean it that way. I started it with I agree with your assessment.

I think smoothcalling the flop raise is ok. some might try to checkraise the turn with a straight or set because there is a 2 flush board so the chances of hero checking the turn through is less likely. my guess was if he had the straight, hes still semi afraid of a check through, so he underbets the turn hoping for either a raise or a call which will inflate the pot enough to make the river push unfoldable.

I guess I'm just saying its not that donkish of a move.

didn't mean to come off confrontational.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:13 PM

it's his turn play that I think is super donkish with the flopped straight. I'd be protecting my hand big time at this point. The pot is big and i'm happy to take it down now...i don't want someone hitting the flush that I just gave them super good odds to hit. If you've got the current nuts but an obvious draw is out there, don't give them nearly 6-1 on their money to hit their 4-1 draw.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:05 PM

played fine.

if its a sandbagging set, oh well.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 PM

That 3c on the turn was exactly what you wanted to see. I honestly like the all-in, you want to get your money in there. What's up with that weak $16 dollar bet after the $25 call? A little confusing, but the all-in here is perfect.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Feels like he flopped two pair to me. KT, K9 or T9. .... what did he have?