Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 10:40 AM

Default When to go into All-in Fold Mode

I'm relatively new to the MTT scene. I think i've played about 20-30 MTT in the past 3-4 months had my first final table appearance the other day WOOHOO!

One thing I haven't quite been able to figure out yet is (a) when to go into all-in fold mode, (b) more importantly the quality of hands to go in on.

Yesterday I was in a 600 person MTT. Couldn't get any cards the whole time so blinds were eatin at me. Had about T600 with blinds at 25-50...dealt AKo in early position. Next blind level in 8mins was 50-100. Go all in or make big bet (3-4xbb)?

Next situation bout 1 min till blinds move to 50-100, I have T650 in late MP dealt A8s...avg stack (bout T1200) raises to T150 from early MP. Easy fold or should I have pushed? Table has been playing slightly LAG, I've been playing pretty TAG, but with the hands i've been getting I might look like a rock.

My general rule is at 10x BB i'm in all-in fold mode, but what if your slightly above 10xBB and blinds are about to go up?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: When to go into All-in Fold Mode

[ QUOTE ]
My general rule is at 10x BB i'm in all-in fold mode,

[/ QUOTE ]

that is pretty much the general rule around here (if there are no antes)

[ QUOTE ]
but what if your slightly above 10xBB and blinds are about to go up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters much. The reason for the 10x rule is that with less than that you cannot make a "standard" raise w/out PCing yourself, so you simply push. With a bigger stack, pushing would be risking too much to just win the blinds.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 AM

sofere-

[ QUOTE ]
(a) when to go into all-in fold mode

[/ QUOTE ]

10BB if you are open-raising 3xBB. I drop it to 8BB when the blinds get big and I drop my standard open-raise to 2.5BB.

[ QUOTE ]
(b) more importantly the quality of hands to go in on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to time constraints, I'm going to leave the details here to others. There is lots of disagreement on this, but most players probably err on the side of folding hands that they should have pushed IMHO.

If you want to see someone effectively play an aggressive shortstack (or medium stack, or big stack, actually), watch cferejohn play the next time you see his name in a sweat thread late in a tourney. I have watched him play several times and have learned a lot.

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday I was in a 600 person MTT. Couldn't get any cards the whole time so blinds were eatin at me. Had about T600 with blinds at 25-50...dealt AKo in early position. Next blind level in 8mins was 50-100. Go all in or make big bet (3-4xbb)?

[/ QUOTE ]

With AJ/KQ/77-type hands, I probably push because I don't mind "only" getting the blinds, but I make a normal open with AKo. I'm willing to duke it out with AKo, even though it increases my chances of busting, because you've got to double up pretty soon and you're unlikely to get a better hand in the next orbit or two.

[ QUOTE ]
Next situation bout 1 min till blinds move to 50-100, I have T650 in late MP dealt A8s...avg stack (bout T1200) raises to T150 from early MP. Easy fold or should I have pushed? Table has been playing slightly LAG, I've been playing pretty TAG, but with the hands i've been getting I might look like a rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

The raiser will be ahead most of the time and you will often be dominated. Unless my play should have created a TAG image AND I am sure the other players are paying attention (note: these two conditions rarely occur in isolation so it is extremely unlikely that they would occur together), I would fold A8s here.

I'd rather wait and open-push A2o or KJo or 33 with a 6.5BB stack (i.e. after the blinds increase) than come over the top here.

[ QUOTE ]
My general rule is at 10x BB i'm in all-in fold mode, but what if your slightly above 10xBB and blinds are about to go up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I already answered this in the AKo hand analysis above.

Later,
Che
Old 10-14-2004, 11:32 AM

In your first situation, with blinds at 25-50, you still have more a little more than 10x BB, so it's definitely not an all-in situation unless you are raised. I'd raise 3x, and if you get a raise go ahead and push. (I'm assuming you survived this hand since you were still playing later).

The second situation is a bit tougher. I would either push or fold. I would only push if I think they will lay their hand down, because the chances that you are ahead with A8s are pretty slim. I'd probably fold this one since you still have a few more hands until the blinds hit, and if there's no ante you're not in great shape but can wait for a better spot.