Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 PM

Default I value bet the river.. with ace high!

Man I am such a donk at times.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: The CO was looney toons, his capping standards pre-flop and on the flop were light, to say the least. He would slow down big time on the expensive streets unless he had a legit hand, though. UTG is your typical loose/passive, calling down with any part of the board and chasing whatever may be there, but will not show down absolute trash.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Heroine calls, UTG calls.

<font color="green">Not exactly sure of COs capping standards here, but I figure them to be wide enough to think that I am easily ahead here more often than not -- at worse, I am slightly behind (to some PP). UTG is donking along for the ride, adding valuable monies to the pot.</font>

Flop: (14 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Heroine checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Heroine calls, UTG calls.

<font color="green">I peel here because I think CO has trash, and even if I am currently behind UTG (or CO) I have more than enough outs to draw.</font>

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Heroine checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

<font color="green">When he checkes the turn through he may as well hold up a giant neon sign that says "I got trash!"</font>

River: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

<font color="green">Hmm. I do not want UTG calling, at all. I think the CO has squat, but if UTG has any part of the board I'm cooked. This bet looks awkward, though -- what did this card improve? It is the brickiest of bricks. At best, I look like a frustrated TP that whiffed a turn check-raise, or some trash two-pair that I just picked up (thankfully I was the BB, so any two can look sane). I think that I was hoping beyond hope that UTG would fold something like bottom pair here.

The proper play here would probably be to check-raise a bet from the CO, and fold to a bet from UTG. I had no assurance that CO was going to bet through after checking the turn through, and I needed to give UTG a chance to fold. Meh.</font>

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: UTG+2 is the same player as the maniac as the last hand, but he is not the villan here. CO is another LAGgy player, although he is not as maniacal pre-flop as the previous villan, but he will keep the heat on until someone plays back at him.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Heroine is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Heroine raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Heroine calls.

<font color="green">This probably should be capped pre-flop, given who just three-bet here and the extra player trapped.</font>

Flop: (10.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Heroine calls.

<font color="green">Maaaam I chase for my runner-runner pair.</font>

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Heroine checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Heroine calls.

<font color="green">This is a loose call here, but I doubt he has a 9. The few other times he went bananas pre-flop he has shown down two big cards (or ace-whatever) or PPs of some strength. Maybe he has A9-J9, but whatever.</font>

River: (8.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Heroine bets</font>, CO calls.

<font color="green">On second thought, this river bet looks bad. I seriously doubt he has the 9 or the 4, but he may have a T or a PP &gt; 44. Meh. So I think I am good a fair bit of the time here (waaay more often than one every 8-9 hands). The question here is what worse hands here will he pay off with? Big aces? The proper play here is to just check/call here, hoping he takes one last desperate stab at the pot. If he checks through, oh well -- he probably was not calling. If he bets a monster, that is only one bet lost instead of two. Gain the same when you win, lose less when you lose. Yuck.</font>

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

-K
Old 06-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: I value bet the river.. with ace high!

Hand #1.

I think you should either check/call or check/fold the river depending on your reads.

I imagine that you will only be called by a better hand if you bet and a weaker hand will probably fold.

Hand #2.

Yes, same situation as previous hand. Either check/call the river or check/fold depending on your reads.

Basically check/call if you think there is more than a 10% chance that CO could try to pick up the pot by bluffing a hand weaker than A high.