Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 03:08 PM

Default 20-40 3-bet the river or no?

Here is a hand from Saturday night at Foxwoods.

I am dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP.

UTG limps (My read on him is that he will play alot of trash in any position but will raise with hands that are worthy of it. He has also overplayed alot of hands.) I raise, blinds fold we are heads up.

Flop
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He bets out, I call

Turn
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He bets again, I raise, He calls.

River
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet he raises, whats my line... 3bet or call?
I have asked several people this and have gotten different answers.

Thank You.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: 20-40 3-bet the river or no?

call here. what are you ahead of. K-T and K-9 and K-Small. You are losing to KJ,K8, and K7. His most likely hand is K7 based on how the hand played out.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Raise, the only thing he can have that beats you is something like 9To, or rivered set, but most players would jump out of there seat to reraise the turn if they believe they were ahead with a King or something else.

I raise and then after I lose I stand up stare at the screen laugh and giggle and sit back down.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:07 PM

first of all, you haven't taken into consideration his opp.

most players of this caliber don't lead out with a King, they are afraid if they bet and there opp folds, that they should have checked.

2ndly if he did have Kx and now made a full, why didn't he reraise the turn because he was afraid of KJ or KA or KQ, nahh, he would've popped if he did.

I honestly dont believe this guy has a King.

9T maybe, or a rivered set, but not K7.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:21 PM

I think this smells like exactly 77 (slim chance its T9) Made hands 3 bet you on the turn. I would just call, because really no other hand makes sense from his play(unless hes total outright bluffing)
Old 10-09-2005, 04:45 PM

then its still a call. my point is if he is c-raising the river, he can likely beat a set of kings.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:25 PM

I think he has T9.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 PM

I think this is a call. What is he check-raising the river with that you beat?

SpaceAce
Old 10-10-2005, 12:18 AM

I think the problem here wasn't raising the flop. He's obviously leading with something. Its probably not ak given that you said he'll raise hands like this, and it can't be KJ because who the hell leads with the deck crippled, a raise on the flop wouldve told you exactly what he had. In addition, since he overplays his hands, if he had like KT or K9 (which i think he has) you get in a lot more bets. This is what i think happened: he flops trips and leads hoping maybe to 3 bet, or set up a cr on the turn. You call behind on the flop so he feels you may be weak. He leads again on the turn because he obviously feels he has the best hand and now you raise. He thinks you have a descent hand but not a king so he doesnt want to scare you out so he just calls then sets up his cr on the river. I can almost guarentee you you've got him. Ive seen this exact thing happen many many times. People go, why wouldnt he do this? why wouldnt he do that? the fact is, hes a bad player whom youve seen overplay hands. He has a worse king than yours, 3 bet it.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a hand from Saturday night at Foxwoods.

I am dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP.

UTG limps (My read on him is that he will play alot of trash in any position but will raise with hands that are worthy of it. He has also overplayed alot of hands.) I raise, blinds fold we are heads up.

Flop
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He bets out, I call

Turn
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He bets again, I raise, He calls.

River
7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet he raises, whats my line... 3bet or call?
I have asked several people this and have gotten different answers.

Thank You.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a logical exercise. He bets the turn and you raise telling him you have 3 kings with a strong kicker(since you raised preflop), he calls, and then he checkraises you on the river. Since he knows what you had on the turn he must have a hand that beats trip kings strong kicker, so you should just call and find out what he has. If your opponent does not play logically then you should 3 bet him on the river since he can have many other hands that dont make sense given the action.