Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Set meets resistance in huge pot.

No reads. Can anybody find a fold?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Nimbus is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Nimbus calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Nimbus calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Nimbus calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Nimbus calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (14 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Nimbus raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Nimbus calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (36 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Nimbus calls, MP2 calls, SB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 40 BB
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Set meets resistance in huge pot.

Can anybody find a fold?

I don't think so. If they can, they probably don't understand limit holdem. On the turn, if you are up against a straight, you probably have ten outs to win. (That's more outs than if you had a flush draw, and you usually don't fold flush draws on the turn in limit holdem, either). The only real problem is if you are up against a higher set. But sometimes you are up against a lower set, and its his problem.

On the river, you have a set, the pot is big, and you are faced with one bet. You just don't fold here either. You will get shown two pair often enough, that you might be posting some of those hands asking if you have a value raise on the river.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:53 AM

Sweet. Thanks. I just get a cold feeling when my set is calling two cold on the capped turn.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:13 AM

SB is a concern, partly because he may be eating up some of your boat outs if you're drawing. Meanwhile, UTG+2's line is weird, but in a pot this multiway he could be playing like this with a few different hands without actually being insane, and on the turn you beat some of those hands and have a good draw against others. (Plus, we don't know for certain that he's not insane.)

The river card is not encouraging, since you now lose to any random 6 and any flopped flush draw, in addition to JT and bigger sets.

But I'm not folding a set for one more bet in a pot this huge.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 AM

Nice game selection.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 AM

Where did you find that table? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Before the river I don't fold a set which could be the best hand and has 10 outs if somebody has a straight. And on the river I'm not folding in such an enormous pot.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 AM

I think you played this one perfectly. You can't fold anywhere in this monster pot. On the turn you have ten outs to full house or better AND you can very well have the best hand. The river card is terrible for your hand, but you can't fold in this gigantic pot. Going for overcalls is the correct play with all those players behind you.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anybody find a fold?

I don't think so. If they can, they probably don't understand limit holdem. On the turn, if you are up against a straight, you probably have ten outs to win. (That's more outs than if you had a flush draw, and you usually don't fold flush draws on the turn in limit holdem, either). The only real problem is if you are up against a higher set. But sometimes you are up against a lower set, and its his problem.

On the river, you have a set, the pot is big, and you are faced with one bet. You just don't fold here either. You will get shown two pair often enough, that you might be posting some of those hands asking if you have a value raise on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close given the action and the board. Theres a 4 card straight and now 3 to a flush and all he has is mid set. I agree, a set is huge in MOST cases, here, its marginal at best. The turn call is fine given you have a few outs to a boat (i doubt at this point you have even 10, you're probably lookin at best 8 as another set is most likely out there). With a non diamond river, i call in a heart beat. With a diamond now on board, i seriously doubt you even win in this spot more than 1% of the time, and you need to be winning 1 in 40, which you're not. I fold river with a sick feeling in my gut and throw something, but relishing the fact i was good enough to save a BB. No way you're good here. Bob understands LHE from the sounds of it, and probably to a very good extent, but in this case, there's no way a call can be correct.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:29 AM

I must be missing something here - this looks like an easy fold on the flop to me. You have third pair plus a backdoor straight draw that may well end up splitting the pot (you have to discount the backdoor flush draw with only the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] of course). You need 22:1 to hit a set on the turn. You're getting 17:1 when it's up to you and it's likely to be raised behind you. Fold.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 AM

I'm folding the flop against 8 players and this draw heavy board.