Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Turning it around

[ QUOTE ]
and sit in seat #3 always.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat 3? ONLY if the tip of your tinfoil hat is facing an easterly direction. East is bad Chi. I will only point my hat North or West which means I'm relegated to seats 1, 4, 7, or 9.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: To everyone that is running terrible for the first time ever......

[ QUOTE ]

Here's something to get you through the streak/night/lonley 'bangin' bitches' sessions:

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll be happy to know that she actually does offer poker instruction.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But, that was perhaps the most insightful post i have read here since gigabet's "almost there with....."

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]You have been elevated to my 2nd favorite poster (Yugo is first by virtue of his recent discovery of how to include pictures).

Go JohnnyBeeferoonie!
Old 08-07-2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks, Beef.

I really believe that this type of stuff needs to be continuously discussed. I've been playing poker for 15 years or so, but only recently have come to understand what's possible for a winning player.

I remember reading Malmuth's simulation several years ago where he showed that a MTT player who is twice as good as everybody else in the field could play every day and lose for 2 years. I remember thinking that I would quit the game long before that happened.

But now with the number of hands and tournaments that it's possible to play online, most pros are going to witness/experience the equivalent of 2 years of live losing play. This would be like an online MTT player who loses for a month or two... which is exceedingly common.

We're starting to get a pretty good feel for what's "normal" for a SNG player over the past few months. I remember last August you could author a post where you suggested that you'd know your true ITM% after a few hundred SNGs and your true ROI after 500 or 1000 and nobody would disagree with you. If somebody posted StupidSucker's numbers for his last 500 back then... 100% of the responses would tell him that he's horrible and cannot possibly be a winning player.

I had a 30 buy-in drop yesterday and it barely bothered me. I "let it flow" a bit... but I was fine by the start of my session this morning, and I already turned it back to the black even though I was mentally prepared for it to take a week or more to recover.

The mental game is critical, and one should not spend a large portion of their poker life feeling like a victim of bad luck.

Irieguy
Old 08-07-2005, 05:53 AM

Why does it seem like everybody on this board is going through a downswing simultaneously? Where's the money going? Are the fish just cleaning house right now?

On a side note, I've taken up screaming as a new hobby. Every time I lose a big hand, I let out a shrill screech which should make Yugo glad he's not living with me anymore. It seems to be a solid new hobby, and is better and less illegal than my previous cat-hatcheting method of coping.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where's the money going?

[/ QUOTE ]

PartyProker's gross drop is almost $4,000,000 per day.
That's where "some" of it goes
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 AM

I'm drunk
Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM

"and sit in seat #3 always"
[ QUOTE ]
Seat 3? ONLY if the tip of your tinfoil hat is facing an easterly direction

[/ QUOTE ]

See, there's your problem. Your hat must be bowl-shaped with no points or angles. Otherwise the Chi won't resonate at the correct frequency to optimize focal clarity in odd numbers chairs. Click Here for detailed instructions

Now fix your hat, go forth and prosper.
SlackerMcGoof
Old 08-07-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"and sit in seat #3 always"
[ QUOTE ]
Seat 3? ONLY if the tip of your tinfoil hat is facing an easterly direction

[/ QUOTE ]

See, there's your problem. Your hat must be bowl-shaped with no points or angles. Otherwise the Chi won't resonate at the correct frequency to optimize focal clarity in odd numbers chairs. Click Here for detailed instructions

Now fix your hat, go forth and prosper.
SlackerMcGoof

[/ QUOTE ]

You Have Way Too Much Time on Your Hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

When JohnnieBeef is your 2nd favorite poster you may want to reval things, a Bit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

SkipperMcBob
who thinks that Beef is his 3rd favorite poster
Old 08-07-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading Malmuth's simulation several years ago where he showed that a MTT player who is twice as good as everybody else in the field could play every day and lose for 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irie, isn't it like apples and oranges comparing MTT variance to SNG variance?

I'm not really arguing with your general point, but also I think that often people justify poor play / tilt by the comfort of it being "just variance" without doing an honest examination of their own play.