Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Bottom set. Wtf???

we need some info on that 4K stack i suppose, but i would probably just push the turn.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make a small blcoking bet on the river. Fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a small bet invoke a reraise?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 PM

exactly, and this isnt even the entire hand range really, bluffing and misplays are possible, there is no way im folding bottom set with these odds if i raise the turn

so i dont raise the turn with this action, it would be sickeningly poor play to go broke in this pot i think
Old 11-18-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it would be sickeningly poor play to go broke in this pot i think

[/ QUOTE ]
jk?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 PM

Whoa, 100% correct! The pot is large enough and your river play has a low enough expectation given the texture of the board, the # of opponents left in the hand, and the informational edge they'll have on the river that pot protection is priority 1.

Turn = all-in. If they have a straight go broke. If they have higher sets go broke. They don't have them often enough for it to be a concern, nor do they have hands you can extract significant amounts of value from on a blank river to make it worth playing a river card.

RERAISE TURN ALL-IN!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:28 PM

I have to run guys. More on my opponents tomorrow. For now...

on the river I checked,

UTG bet $65 (LOL!) and MP1 reraised all in. Quickly folded to me.

It's $3674 for me to call.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:32 PM

You guys who say all in on the turn are really smart, good players and posters. But damn I just don't love bottom set that much ESPECIALLY here given this action. Thinking that one player could have a lone 6, the other AK, the other aces up and yadda yadda is wishing the stars are perfectly aligned for my BOTTOM set.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:33 PM

Fifth nut but a lot of action. Still, I am committed here. Sigh. You know the players better, so you may not be. Conveniently, because I am committed I can now ignore straights and sets. I am playing to maximize vs two pair and draw hands. The only hands that concern me are T9 and any hand with a 6, each of which have 8 outs and if both are present 14 outs. The pot is $2335 after my (theoretical) call. MP1 has $3700 left and MP2 has $1600 left rounded. Ok, pretty straightforward that I want UTG and MP2 all in. Therefore I am only playing MP1. I would raise at least $1,600 and if I think MP1 would call with 2 pair for >$1,600 but fold for an all in, I would pick an enticing number like $1,800 and give him his outs if he has a draw. Remember, if he has a draw - which is the only tiebreaking hand - he has to call without knowing what MP2 will do. He does not have odds to call even with the dead money and assuming you will call all in on the river. Only if they both have different draws does your lesser bet hurt you.

If MP1 is just as likely or more likely to call an all-in with two pair, by all means shove your stack in. Online that move can work very well.

In the odd event that you just call, I would lead the river for $1,500 on anything but a 4, 9 or J.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 PM

It's entirely possible that one of these guys has a higher set and is slowplaying it to death. THat's what donks do..they slowplay everything from top pair to the nuts and have no clue how to extract. Just because we would have bet out our higher set or raised it on the turn does not mean one of the villian's would have.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:45 PM

I am not willing to lose $4k here. I am more than willing to play it like a puss and try and get a cheap showdown.

I flat call the turn and make a decision on the river. Most likely check/call any non 9 or 4 except an all in from MP1. If the board pairs, I might make a value/blocker bet, with the intention of folding to an all in from MP1.