Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Stewart Reubens P/L holdem Book

Looking for reviews from the P/L - HE players on the forum.
Comments on the CD appreciated as well.

jim grass
Old 08-20-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Stewart Reubens P/L holdem Book

The CD is the installer for Royal Vegas Poker. The book is not nearly as good as his PLO book, or Byron Jacob's must-own limit hold'em book from the same series.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 01:43 PM

It's a decent book, however it's targeted towards the big buy in live games. Much of the advice doesn't apply to small stakes online games.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:08 PM

I've read both ciaffones/rebuens PL/NL Holdem Poker, as well as Ciaffones Improve your poker, both very good books. However, I was greatly disappointed by this "Quizzie"-book by Reuben. I think there are quite a lot of inconsistancies, as well as a lot of of information lacking for a lot of the problems. He often forgets to mention previous plays as in your image, and more importantly, something as crucial to cash game decisions as stack sizes. He often simply just states the blinds and which players are involved, not mentioning neither opponents stack size and/or image, nor your own. A lot of advice are often contradictive in similar situations, and no, this has nothing to with the fact that nearly identical situations can be played vastly diffrent depending on just a tiny factor, since so many factors are missing in the layout of the problems that two situations doesn't only appear to be identical; they are, judging from all available information.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:08 PM

I have read about half of the book, and somehow forgot to read the other half. So that probably says something.

It wouldn't be amongst the first few books I would recommend for bigbet holdem, but it's probably worth reading at some point, given what else is currently out there. I would recommend reading Ciaffone, Brunson, Harrington, and Sklanskys TOP. Then if you must buy another bigbet book, get the Reuben one. No other bigbet books are currently worth considering outside of these choices. And once the new books arrive from the likes of Ciaffone, Ankenman, and Sklansky, the Reuben book will slip even further down the list.