Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 01:58 PM

Default I need some motivation...

About 6 months ago I decided to really learn how to play poker. I had played for about a year prior to that point, however it was almost entirely NL. I was playing mostly $5 or $10 tournaments on Poker Room and doing ok. I switched over to party and blew everything. I had no concept of bankroll management at all. For Christmas I purchased myself a copy of SSHE. This is quite possibly one of the best poker purchases I've ever made.

From January through the end of March I played .5/1 and 1/2 limit on various sites. I was bonus whoring and getting a lot of time in at the tables. In April I got really sick for about 3 weeks and didn't play at all. I then had finals to deal with so I continued my hiatus from poker. Occasionally I would take a trip to AC or Foxwoods for a night, but I wasn't playing at the level I was at the beginning of the year. After school was over for the semester I thought I would get back into it. I've had some trouble staying motivated to play.

I'm not really sure what it is. I've been trying to get back into it but I'm still having trouble. Over 25K hands I'm beating the game for 2.38bb/100, and I feel confident in my abilities. When I stopped playing I was in the midst of the largest downswing of my short poker playing career. I feel like this might have something to do with why I don't have the motivation to play. Maybe I'm afraid that I'm not as good as I thought and that I'm going to lose the bankroll I've built up.

Today I had my first hour+ session four tabling in months. It was a positive session and I was very happy with my play. I felt that I was making the right decisions at the right times. I got back to my tight starting hand requirements which is something that I neglected to keep up with during my downswing. I am starting to feel like I can beat the game again. I just went through my pokertracker data to remind myself that I can play this game and play it well.

I guess why I'm posting is that I need some sort of motivation or goal to keep at it. I would like to move up in levels, but I'm not sure thats enough. I played some 3/6 back in March and now I've started again at 1/2. I want to get some hands in before I move back up. Does anybody have any ideas to motivate me. I see some 1 week challenges and 1 month challenges. It seems like this would be a pretty good idea for me.

If anyone wants to do a challenge this week (its still Monday) I would love to. Let me know either on here or via PM sometime today. Also any advice/comments whether they are negative or positive are always welcome.

Dave
Old 06-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: I need some motivation...

Make a very specific goal for yourself and then strive for it. This goal can be pretty much anything. Mine was to buy a big screen TV with poker winnings. Which I realized in April of this year (sorry brag a bit). Once you have a goal, you have something to strive for. My suggestions would be:

Pay for something specific
Be at a certain level with a 300BB bankroll by this date
Pay a certain bill every month
Since it sounds like you are in college, save for a car/house down-payment
Challenge a friend to a contest. First to $X at a certain level wins $50

Good Luck
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 PM

Go apply for a job at Wal-Mart. I guarantee you will be motivated to play poker.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go apply for a job at Wal-Mart. I guarantee you will be motivated to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually work two jobs at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 PM

take a third one as well....the more the merrier.....