Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Dodging the Blinds?

Newbie here.

What are people's views on players that sit themselves out when the Blinds come through, and then immediately sit-back in again after they have passed?

I came across a guy on Party on a 25PL table that did this consistently for a couple of hours yesterday.

It strikes me as being cheap and slightly absurd.

Is it considered bad Poker etiquette?

Regards,

Rob
Old 05-25-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Dodging the Blinds?

People that do that have to put EXTRA money in... so in fact, if there are people doing that, they have very much so retarded. I assure you, people aren't doing it on purpose to "dodge" the blinds.

Next time someone sits out and doesn't wait for the big blind to come back to him/her, look at the middle of the pot, there'll be extra money there, it's from that player.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:38 AM

Most the pros do this. It's the only way good money playing poker. Search around online and you can find a program that will do it for you.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:45 AM

Don't download anything of the sort, if you find something like that, it'll probably be a virus.

I dunno why people are so mean to newbies.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People that do that have to put EXTRA money in... so in fact, if there are people doing that, they have very much so retarded. I assure you, people aren't doing it on purpose to "dodge" the blinds.

Next time someone sits out and doesn't wait for the big blind to come back to him/her, look at the middle of the pot, there'll be extra money there, it's from that player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they aren't putting "extra money in", they are simply paying both blinds to post in the cutoff, i.e. they post the big blind in front of them, and they "post" the small blind straight into the pot (a dead blind).

However by doing this, they never get to play the button (you have to wait until CO to post if you miss the blinds). I value the button FAR more than I do posting my blinds "with better position".
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 AM

Thanks Zimbu.

Believe it or not, I am actually winning small and consistently, even though I have a massive amount to learn.

In a few months time, I'll be dangerous...!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:59 AM

"Well they aren't putting "extra money in", they are simply paying both blinds to post in the cutoff, i.e. they post the big blind in front of them, and they "post" the small blind straight into the pot (a dead blind).

However by doing this, they never get to play the button (you have to wait until CO to post if you miss the blinds). I value the button FAR more than I do posting my blinds "with better position". "

Oh right, it comes up to the same thing, but yes, you never get to play the button, so it's a stupid thing regardless.

Don't worry about it, it's ok to be new to the game. I started with a 100 bucks at 25NL when my friends and I suddenly got an interest in poker. Now I'm playing NL100 and attempting to move up to NL200. A few months is all it took. Read a lot, read the forums, the books and your opponents ( [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).
Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 AM

What I see is people jumping into a table just as new players have arrived and it is starting up. They try to get a free hand. Let's say 3 people are about to start playing at a previously empty table. All of a sudden the free-hand taker takes a seat. If he/she is lucky, he/she will be out of the blinds and dealt 1 or 2 free hands, and he/she is free to fold everything under say JJ/AQ. This is mega-cheap and mega-sketchy in my opinion but whatever floats your boat. One person I see doing this all the freaking time is "ee1oe1ee" (actually it's not this but something very similar to this).
Old 05-25-2005, 06:38 AM

if you aint a cheetin you a fool. every one makin money online is cheetin. u play honeest you a losen fool.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you aint a cheetin you a fool. every one makin money online is cheetin. u play honeest you a losen fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD