Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 01:54 AM

Default KKK Flop

A friend of mine and I were discussing a hand he played in a 80 player PartyPoker tournament:

Our hero with T2400 is in the BB with AJo. Two limpers and the SB (villain, with T1100) - call. Hero checks.

Flop is KKK.

Villian bets T100. The Hero has seen this scoundrel make repeated sloppy calls and overplayed bluffs. None the less the Hero folds because there isn't enough in the pot to warrant calling this down. Everyone else also folds.

My thought was that our hero should have reraised. Comments?
Old 11-24-2004, 01:58 AM

Default Re: KKK Flop

yeah, with that A, and no preflop raise from the other guy, he has a good shot at taking the pot there.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:58 AM

What are the blinds?

Does he have any reads on what the players behind him are like? Because should he raise, those are the two to be immediately concerned with.

I don't see any problem with raising here...certainly don't want to make it so large a raise that you can't fold, perhaps in the 400 region. Definitely needing more info, though, for any real analysis.

-Edge
Old 11-24-2004, 05:16 AM

I never understand why anyone would get involved with a hand like this anyway, but especially in a tournament situation. Save your chips for a better hand.

At this point your friend is drawing to three outs against 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, TT, JJ, QQ and drawing to chop vs. AA and AQ, and hopelessly behind all 12 remaining K combinations. I have flopped quads a few times and it amazes me that I get any action at all. In the past I have always checked the flop, in the future I am going to make a smallish bet to make everyone think I am trying to buy it, and then welcome all of the AJ action I can get.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:09 AM

Blinds are 15/30.

I don't know if he had a read on the the two limpers - we didn't discuss them.

Suited Sixes's point was pretty much what my friend thought. But we both thought that this player would have raised from the small blind with any pocket pair. (Although he has 4 outs, not 3 against a pocket pair.) In a tournament siutation I can see that point of view... but I still have a problem laying down a hand when you beleive you have the best of it.

(I made a minor mistake in my original post. I wrote that I thought he should "reraise" when I should have said "raise.")
Old 11-24-2004, 11:32 AM

Actually, 6 outs against a pair less than jacks. I don't think AJ is a great hand in this situation, as someone may have a pp or a K. You definately don't want to invest much in this pot. Let the guy who is stealing run into someone with quads.

Once in a SNG the board came 999 and I had a 9. I checked the flop, but bet the turn and the river. No one called on the river. Everyone thought I was bluffing. I was playing pretty aggressively, and this added to my image.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:01 PM

Actually 7 outs against a pair less than jacks (28% chance to improve), 4 against queens (16%), 0 against a king, 1 against aces (4%), and 4 chances to split against AQ (16%). Against any two other cards you are way ahead.

Given the description of the raiser, the fact that they didn't raise before the flop, and the fact that this flop is just asking for a bluff, I'd definitely raise.

I also would have raised this preflop.