Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 03:55 PM

Default The theory of poker

I am currently reading the theory of poker....I am a decent card player and i did very well reading harington on hol vol 1&2 ....this book seems very advanced and i am having trouble with all the effective odds and implied odds. Basically its the math and technical stuff that is giving me a little trouble....has anyone experienced this book to be a little advanced...if so are there any readings that are a little easier to understand as far as the math goes
Old 11-24-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: The theory of poker

I'm not trying to be mean but...

If you truely can't understand the 'odds' section of ToP then you might want to think of trying another game besides poker. Unless you are just playing for the enjoyment of it in which case do as you please. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently reading the theory of poker....I am a decent card player and i did very well reading harington on hol vol 1&2 ....this book seems very advanced and i am having trouble with all the effective odds and implied odds. Basically its the math and technical stuff that is giving me a little trouble....has anyone experienced this book to be a little advanced...if so are there any readings that are a little easier to understand as far as the math goes

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrington constantly refers to PO decisions throughout the book. I don't how you "got" it if you don't understand this. All off the 2p2 are too advanced the first time you read them. Just keep playing and re-reading.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Jordie just be patient and everything will fall into place.
math is not the strong point of many players but with the essentials you should do just fine.

jim grass
Old 11-24-2005, 08:50 PM

Just keep rereading it. It's a textbook. It's gonna be hard to understand.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Just keep plugging away little by little and console yourself with the fact that your reading the most important poker book ever written.