Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Default 2-5 NL how did I play this

I am getting bored, I folded the last 2 rounds, I have just sat down, folding last two rounds in this game means something beacuse its so loose, note button has been playing loose and fast folding to big raises, that is if he isnt making the big raise him self.

I decide not to look UTG....I raise 25, 2 callers button and some MP dude. SB and BB fold, flop

6 3 J, I check (still didnt look), BB checks, Button bets 60, I call, mp dude folds.

Turn is a 9, check again....button betts, 60, I raise all-in.....thoughts? Dumb or do I have any method to my madness
Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: 2-5 NL how did I play this

Yeah, thats brilliant...just brilliant. All in blind. Expert play dude!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:11 AM

with his repeat bet this doesnt look like a terrible spot to try this play if youre going to try it, and you definitely picked the right opponent.

why not play it blind until you get reraised though? be more aggressive get some information, dont just go all in without having exerted any previous pressure. sometimes you hit monsters blind lol.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:24 PM

stack sizes? could be brilliant if you have folding equity.

You mentioned that he knows how to fold, so I assume you're attempting to represent JJ. Good play if you both have a lot of chips.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:45 PM

I had a little more than 300 since 300 was the max buyin he had about 500
Old 04-23-2005, 05:37 PM

How can he represent anything at all if he hasnt looked at his cards? The guy may have a history of being able to fold to a big all in when he has top pair os something like that, but I doubt hes folding anything resombling a good hand when the all in raiser hasnt looked.

Ill take top pair against a random hand for all my chips all day long with that board.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:14 PM

iceman, im pretty sure hero is the only one who knows he is in the dark.

that said, what are you trying to represent with the check-raise all in here? overpair to the J or a set?

also suits might be a bit important.

i get bored myself sometimes when completely card dead, but i tend to do something like decide ahead of the time to raise from the co or co+1 with any two if anyone limps to me and then show the post-flop bluff.

also when you play in the dark, you run the small risk of actually having the nuts or close to it, and not getting near as much value as you might have.

but in the event you are called, look down at 74o, it is a bit entertaining to table it with a "just the nuts" comment, rebuy, and enjoy all of the action you will get for the day.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Unless you're Doyle or Negraneau, I don't see the point of this. Of course if its worth it for the fun you gain from playing blind, and don't mind losing an all in by all means go all in blind.

As far as technical advice, thats a pretty raggedy flop, so if the button is liable to play anything, that flop may have very well helped his hand. I'd actually like the flop better if he had a legitimate preflop raising hand, which if he didn't have a pocket pair was likely not helped by that flop.

David
Old 04-23-2005, 07:55 PM

Playing in the dark is interesting from an EV POV

Firstly, unless your standard of play is worse than simply playing randomly (I.E. you make worse decisions than simply randomly generating a call, raise, fold response) then there is no circumstance under which not looking at your cards could make you play better than looking at your cards. In this exmaple you are making a good play to bluff someone off their hand, a play you might make if you'd missed the flop with a hand you'd 'legitimatly' raised. As someone else said if you actually have a hand you could be losing value by playing to get him to fold. Also note you can't really get much image value from playing in the dark because if people see you do it then they'll call your bets down and if they don't then they may well not believe you if you claim you just played blind. Whats more you could achieve the same level of credibilty by playing your cards then claiming you hadn't seen them (provided you were subtle)

However where this becomes more interesting is th more human side of poker. If playing in the dark once in a while stops you from tilting/getting board/helps you keep focus, then it could indeed be the EV+ play in the long term. This defies analysis and is a judgement that can only be made by a player who knows his own game very well. There is also the added EV+ that could potentially be gained from improving your reads by forcing yourself to play in the dark

For me personally playing in the dark is very EV- and I would only do it to show off/test myself playing with friends for money I was happy to lose to have a good time.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:12 PM

Bragging post:

At MGM couple weeks ago, i made it 60 blind on the button after someone made it 10 and had 2 callers. A lady leans foward and calmly smooth calls out of the smallblind....the original raiser calls, lady leads out 200 on the flop of Q95 and I declare im going to look now...i hit a set of 5's. i smooth call and get a bunch more from her on the turn.

-JP