Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 PM

Default I have a big problem with my wirless connection

So I got this stupid wirless thing since my computer is in a room where its very difficult to run wires to.

I have a linksys router and a D-link pci card.

I got D-link becuase the reviews were mixed for linksys and D-link, and D-link was cheaper.

The D-link instructions suck so I just used windows to connect. Recently the pci card just stopped working. The packets sent were high, and recieved almost 0. Ive had this problem on my regular computer, and the ip address was somehow changed (probably a virus).

So, while trying to fix this, I figured out how to connect to the router using the D-link software, but the packets recieved are still low (there is connection between router and PCI card, but no internet connection). I ipconfig my comp, and it is different from the IP of my router, or my other computer, which ever its supposed to be. I dont know if that may be the problem, and I cant remember how to fix it.

The defualt gateway is not displayed. Instead of just IP address, it says Autoconfiguration IP address, and there is nothing under connection-specific DNS suffix.

Subnet mask is the same on both computers.

I've tried to give all the information which I think may be usefull, if you can help me in any way that would be great. If there is anymore information needed to solve this, I will reply as soon as possible.

This shits really setting me back, thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Re: I have a big problem with my wirless connection

The easiest solution on this, use the same brand name. A Linksys router (best brand out there) on a linksys wifi card will usually have no problems. Also try updating to the latest Linksys firmware on the router. Also if you have in encryption turned off, turn it off and see if that helps
Old 12-07-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: I have a big problem with my wirless connection

You are not pulling an IP address from the router. Do as wonderwes suggests.