Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Default $109\'s.... I know he doesn\'t know

I hate posts that haven't gone through the hand converter, but it's not working right now so this is all I got. I found this hand had a particularily interesting dynamic in that the villain was Newt_Buggs. I knew him to be a 2+2er with a good grasp of the game, but he had no idea that I was also a 2+2er. I checked with him to make sure it was okay to post this hand. I'm interested in hearing what other people think as to how I played this hand. I'll be back to try and defend my play later.

Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: nardist (3555)
Seat 2: Gingerbay (825)
Seat 3: NewtBuggs (1665)
Seat 4: acesonly69 (2105)
Seat 8: Trinit`79 (1025)
Seat 9: Me (825)
NewtBuggs posts small blind (15)
acesonly69 posts big blind (30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Me [ As, Qc ]
Trinit`79 calls (30)
I raise (125) to 125
nardist folds.
Gingerbay folds.
NewtBuggs calls (110)
acesonly69 folds.
Trinit`79 folds.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7h, 4s, 2s ]
NewtBuggs bets (150)
I raise (700) to 700
I'm all-In.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: $109\'s.... I know he doesn\'t know

Looks super standard to me. Actually, at the 200's, I often run this play knowing nothing about my opponent. Those "tester bets" are begging to be raised. As long as you do it quickly and confidently they have no reason to put you on anything but a large pocket pair.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:42 AM

np... wish it worked in the 11s.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks super standard to me. Actually, at the 200's, I often run this play knowing nothing about my opponent. Those "tester bets" are begging to be raised. As long as you do it quickly and confidently they have no reason to put you on anything but a large pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I'm also really not a fan of that bet by Newt with any hand there.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you dont think its a good bet with a set?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 AM

It's good with a set against an aggressive player, but you often dont have a good enough read against a player to know if theyre aggressive. It can definitely work out well, but the standard slowplay line is a safer line.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you dont think its a good bet with a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't think it is a particularirly good bet against a set here, the stacks just aren't deep enough and he doesn't know the opponent well enough that I could be convinced betting out is the best option.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:18 AM

Question for you guys: Newt's a very good player, so what are you putting him on that he called this pre-flop raise with? He's well aware of the gap. I can't see him playing any weak hands here, especially since the OP has half his stack (less implied odds).

Obviously, you read Newt as just betting with air because he thinks that the OP whiffed with two broadways. But isn't Newt's most likely holding a PP? I take it that you're reading his bet as weak, since a very strong hand would try a C/R?

So anyway, there's t1160 in the pot when he's faced with the push of 550. If he's got an overpair (which I don't really think is that unlikely of a holding here), is the OP's push really such a great play?

I guess I'm just curious as to what you guys think a good player (as Newt is) is calling this pre-flop raise with that makes you think that he is so likely to fold to this push. Interesting hand.

Wait, I just noticed that it's only t550 more for Newt to call. I think that pushing here is really kind of reckless actually. I'd like to hear why I'm wrong. Newt's getting over 2:1 to call at this point.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 AM

We're putting Newt on something like 99. The thing is, when the OPer says 2+2er we're assuming there's some point to his betout here, that he's not just doing it at random. If he's intending to go commit no matter what, then why wouldn't he trap checkraise so he gets paid off vs overcards? The conclusion is that the betout is testing whether the raiser has a large pair. I'm quite certain that I've made opponents fold medium pairs in similar circumstances before.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:28 AM

You guys should know better than to push ace high against a donk who has bet into you [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

looking back at the history of this hand I don't think that I would play it the same way. I don't know if the deviation was because I had 7 other tables blinking at me or if I had notes/reads on the OP.