Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Playing high/drunk

When I play drunk online, my starting hand requirements usually drop off a little and I start bluffing calling stations. Occasionally I'll misread opponent's hands because I don't realize what they're drawing to. In live play, oddly enough, I can usually focus enough to do okay. I won a NL tourney in a bar when I was drunk off my ass. Not exactly the WSOP, but I did win a poker tabletop out of the deal. Most people I see drunk at the tables turn into calling stations, with an occasional maniac thrown in.

The one guy that sticks out in my mind was at Bellagio a few years back. He started out playing okay, but after a while the waitress stopped asking and just brought him a Bud longneck every time she came by. I lost count, but he was definitely gone. He could never remember his hole cards, and he turned into the worst calling station I've ever seen. Never bet, never raise. Always call. Even if he had the nuts (which he was apparently unaware of, because he'd just turn over his cards and let the dealer figure it out.) He bled off five or six racks of white at a 4-8 table.

The hell of it is, eventually the cards just ran over him like a tidal wave. He made back all his money and probably an extra $100 by the time he stumbled out. Crazy stuff.