Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Nut Flush Draw Equity: 4-handed

You hold AQs UTG.

Flop has three rags (no pair) and two of your suit. You have three opponents.

SB and BB check the flop. You bet. MP raises. SB and BB call.

It's correct to 3-bet here, yes?

Similar situation:

SB and BB check the flop. You check as well. MP bets. SB and BB call. You checkraise. UTG 3-bets. SB and BB call.

It's correct to cap here, yes?

Now pretend you have A3s. Do your answers change?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Nut Flush Draw Equity: 4-handed

I would reraise/cap in both situations, with both AQs and A3s... you have more than your fair share of equity in each situation
Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would reraise/cap in both situations, with both AQs and A3s... you have more than your fair share of equity in each situation

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you calculate hand ranges? Did you consider how our equity changes if we're against a set? Did you consider the possibility of another flush draw being out there? Did you consider how our equity changes if our overcard are good? What if we're reverse dominated and lose bets when we spike an A?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM

If you consider the fact that both the BB/SB BOTH just called 2 SB cold, you may want to consider the fact that you might have a few less outs than you think. Though, the two overs do help. Whats his range of hands here? Will he fastplay a set like this? Does he have a hand like 99-JJ he 'waited' for a safe flop to play? Will he cold call with a hand like A-rag which makes you reverse domianted? Whats the blinds range of hands? So much missing info!!! If you feel that both your over cards will give you the best hand (top pair) and *most* of your hearts are live, go ahead and call. If the Cold caller is like 10/2/2, you might want to slow down and re-evaluate.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider how our equity changes if we're against a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

The nut flush draw will have 25% equity against a flopped set. Overcards don't matter here.

[ QUOTE ]
DId you consider the possibility of another flush draw being out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I usually don't worry about flush over flush, but it's worth considering with what hands the blinds are calling this aggression. If I can put the other aggressor on a set and at least one of the two blinds on a flush draw, my equity drops below 25% and I shouldn't put in another raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider how our equity changes if our overcard are good?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this much action, I give very little weight to overcards.

I guess I was looking for a situation where I didn't have enough equity to jam the pot. A set and another flush draw provides me with such a situation.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB and BB check the flop. You bet. MP raises. SB and BB call.
It's correct to 3-bet here, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely.

[ QUOTE ]
SB and BB check the flop. You check as well. MP bets. SB and BB call. You checkraise. UTG 3-bets. SB and BB call.

It's correct to cap here, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Now pretend you have A3s. Do your answers change?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

A3s has about 35% Pot Equity in this spot. To paraphrase Ed Miller from pg 37 of SSHE; "You're only putting in 25% of the money so you will net a profit worth 10% of all the flop betting".

The AQ hand has something more than 35% pot equity because sometimes one or both of your overcards will be good.

BM
Old 11-10-2005, 07:46 PM

You have equity to cap in both spots, especially because it looks like 99% of the time no one is folding.

yea, i didn't think about sets and other flush draws either. I just assumed it was against a couple of donks and I'm curious to know the effects.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you calculate hand ranges? Did you consider how our equity changes if we're against a set? Did you consider the possibility of another flush draw being out there? Did you consider how our equity changes if our overcard are good? What if we're reverse dominated and lose bets when we spike an A?

[/ QUOTE ]

against a set, were right about at 25%, meaning all bets have neutral EV, since a set is not all that likely, it is clearly +EV to jam it in both situations, you can completely ignore your overcard outs

the only situation where your losing money is when there is a set and another flush draw out there, i think in the long run, jamming this flop is clearly the correct choice unless you have reason to believe one of your opponents will fold

edit: i see boxtree already answered all these questions
Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 AM

Easy cap for me in both cases. You're getting 3:1 on your money with 2 cards to peel and with your flop agression you're sure to get paid off on the big streets if you hit.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:01 AM

The possibility of another flush draw out there is partly offset by the added action you'll get if you both complete your draw, and who knows, you can string along the set for a few extra bets on the big streets too.