Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Book on cashgames for no limit holdem

Anyone know a book with good strategies for no limit holdem cashgames? I found plenty books on no limit tournaments but very few on cashgames.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Book on cashgames for no limit holdem

Believe it or not, this question has been asked before. About once a week since the beginning of time. Do a search, or just start scrolling back through previous threads.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 AM

ciaffone and reuben's book is the way to go
Old 09-13-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, this question has been asked before. About once a week since the beginning of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, that is just beautiful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] laughing my ass off
Old 09-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Believe it or not, the search feature on this infopop forum sucks.

I've never been personally berated for asking a newb question on these forums, but about once every other day I see a response like yours blasting some poor newb.

Yeah, I hear you on the - "just start scrolling back through previous threads" idea. Thats what I usually do when I feel the urge to ask a question that seems like it might have been addressed before, and the reason I have to do it is due to the fact the search feature sucks so badly.

Specifically, Iv'e found that - The search feature will not find posts beyond a certain look back period ( < 1yr if memory serves ). Also, many of the posts that the search digs up do not contain any of the searched for words or phrases.

Whats the harm with a little redundancy? Are we working with limited forum space here?

Considering the fact that the search feature sucks, how can this be such a "pet peeve" for so many members?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, it works. It's not Google, but it doesn't suck either. Most people are too lazy to use it, or to figure out how to use it, and ask the same questions over and over.

[ QUOTE ]
about once every other day I see a response like yours blasting some poor newb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly a blasting. A mild rejoinder to do some research before posting an obvious question. Wait until Jake gets here. Then you will see blasting.

[ QUOTE ]
The search feature will not find posts beyond a certain look back period ( < 1yr if memory serves ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Older threads are archived. You have to search the "Older Archives" section.

[ QUOTE ]
Whats the harm with a little redundancy? Are we working with limited forum space here?

Considering the fact that the search feature sucks, how can this be such a "pet peeve" for so many members?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called having fun with newbies, while educating them. Many new posters actually think that they have come up with a question that no one has ever thought of before. It is annoying to read the same question for the 47th time, and it is human nature to stick in the needle. The price you pay for not doing your homework.

Didn't your mother ever tell you than you learn things better if you look them up yourself?

Part of all this really is an attempt to educate the new folks. For instance, the proper question here would be: "I have tried to search for info about no limit books, but can't seem to get anywhere. Any help would be appreciated."

The proper answer then would be:

1. Click on the Search function at the top of the page.

2. On the search page under "Forum to search" click on "Books and Publications"

3. Under "Keyword search terms" type in: "no limit", including the quote marks. Beneath that, click on "in subject".

4. Under "Date range", change it to something like 3 months

5. Click on "submit"
Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 PM

If OP wasn't lazy he could simply look at the SSNL forum FAQ. This question pops up every single week.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with berating newb questions, but this statement is incorrect. The forum search works well and is not difficult to learn and berating the search is becoming as cliche'd as saying the dog ate your homework.

Anyone who is likely to be or become a contributor to the 2+2 forums should have enough patience and intelligence to figure out the search or at least to scroll back through a few days' posts. I see no positives to answering questions from people not willing to put in this small amount of effort towards making our community work.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with berating newb questions, but this statement is incorrect. The forum search works well and is not difficult to learn and berating the search is becoming as cliche'd as saying the dog ate your homework.

Anyone who is likely to be or become a contributor to the 2+2 forums should have enough patience and intelligence to figure out the search or at least to scroll back through a few days' posts. I see no positives to answering questions from people not willing to put in this small amount of effort towards making our community work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. As a test after readin this post, I decided to see how hard it would be to learn how to search. It took me about 2 minutes to find the following, which is in the Internet Forum FAQ, and cross-referrenced in the Beginners (duh!) Forum FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
How do I use the search function?

The vast majority of things you will want to ask as a new poster have been asked many many times before.
Because of this, it is possible that your question will be ignored, answered unsatisfactorily, or, in the worst cases, laughed at.

The search function is more useful than it first appears.
Here are some discussions on how to get the most from it.

Some hints

Some more

If you are looking for something older, the archives can be found here

[/ QUOTE ]

The links from the original did not appear here when I cut and pasted that post, but now we all know where to look. It ain't rocket science.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hardly a blasting. A mild rejoinder...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. Perhaps blasting was too strong a word.

[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, it works. It's not Google, but it doesn't suck either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it's been awhile for me, I just experimented with the search feature. I typed in - sklansky + karlson, and got several pages of results that did not contain either word. I did the same with some other logical two word combos, with similar results.

So I'll stand by my statement that "many of the posts that the search digs up do not contain any of the searched for words or phrases".

The goal of a search feature is to save time. By using search, we should be able to find what we are looking for faster than if we were to "just start scrolling back through previous threads". I think the infopop search feature falls short of this goal.

Presumably, the goal of berating a poster for asking a dumb question, or a question that has been previously asked, is to encourage conservation of our time and forum space.

With that in mind, it's interesting to note that the only useful reply to the OP's question is also the shortest post in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
ciaffone and reuben's book is the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

In the interest of saving space and time, I'm done here.

See you on another thread.