Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Default confused TP vs super aggro in pos

Villian is super aggro. I decided to go passive on this as I think that may be the best line here. Anyone find a fold or raise anywhere?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($194.75)
MP ($357.15)
CO ($222.05)
Hero ($190)
SB ($217.10)
BB ($198)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $15</font>, Hero calls $7.

Flop: ($33) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($33) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($63) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Final Pot: $123
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: confused TP vs super aggro in pos

A check/halfpot bet seems suspicious from an over aggro player, I couldn't have folded it however and I'm a nb...
Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 PM

Wondering about the PFR with a marginal hand against a super aggro player?!? Post flop looks fine to me.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 PM

I think the PFR is ok. I like the way you played it. I can't find a raise or fold at any point postflop. Calling down seems optimal.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:11 PM

A limp then raise from the guy on my right will force me to put him to the test pre-flop. Might make it $50, might push. Might do it here, might fold and wait for a better opportunity.

When you've got position on a guy like this you can't be a caller. I might trap with AA or KK.

One final point is that I keep stats on each players CB so I know what it means when he checks. If this guy usually makes a CB, but will check on a whiff (like AK) or check when an overcard to his pair flops (like TT here) then I make a note to that effect.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you've got position on a guy like this you can't be a caller.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, IMO. Give 'em rope, they hang themselves. And you give them rope by calling and trapping (with hands like this). They are so used to running over calling stations who call a bet on the flop, and then wilt to a big turn bet...that when you call, they think they are in that same situation. Save the raises for the turn or river. Often when they encounter someone playing back at them, they shut down. Keep them the aggressor and watch them overextend themselves.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, IMO. Give 'em rope, they hang themselves. And you give them rope by calling and trapping (with hands like this). They are so used to running over calling stations who call a bet on the flop, and then wilt to a big turn bet...that when you call, they think they are in that same situation. Save the raises for the turn or river. Often when they encounter someone playing back at them, they shut down. Keep them the aggressor and watch them overextend themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say that calling gives you the chance to use your positional advantage, if you go all in then you have eliminated your positional advantage.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a valid point. That's a pretty standard way to play aggro on your right, but there's a big difference in a LAG and TAG. So which are we talking about.

If I'm going to be faced with this guy doing this constantly I'm going to do just as you suggest and that's go into my "bear trap" mode. I'm really not sure about this hand with a made straight flopped. I think its a really weak play to be limping in CO with a strong hand.

I think your point is valid and well made, but I don't consider KJs to be a trapping hand.