Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Another A-A hand, overbet

With no read, fold. There certainly are small-stakes players who'll make the huge bluf raise, but they'll do it several times in a session so you'll get a read on them, and will do it enough that you'll make back any money you lose by getting the pot stolen.

OTOH, there are also small stakes players who don't know how to play when they hit a monster so they just shove the chips in. Incidentally Q7s or even Q4s is also a possibility for some bad players.

The worst case is that it's not a steal but a value raise out of ignorance with TPTK or (less ignorantly) KK. Then it will take longer for them to give the money back (because they do require at least a decent hand, unlike the compulsive bluffer) but they'll still give it back in the long term.

I play at Pacific and Absolute, mostly, so feel free to ignore the above if it's somehow inapplicable to Party.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

i know this a bad reason to call, but at nl25 i always considered everyone a donkey until proven otherwise. At higher limits this is a fold.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM

25NL, instacall for me.

very few at this level would raise like this with a set. My feeling is he wants a fold not a call. Probably a flush draw.
AQ, KQ very possible as well.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i know this a bad reason to call, but at nl25 i always considered everyone a donkey until proven otherwise. At higher limits this is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to remind myself that even donkeys get hands.

Certainly I agree with your main premise, but even a donkey must have a specific reason for a huge raise. Of course one such reason might be that this is a specific kind of donkey, a maniacal compulsive bluffer, but in my experience they usually show their colors pretty clearly at small stakes.

Bad players call with marginal hands and play passively when they shouldn't. Few bad players just toss in maniacal raises with bad hands -- those who do are fairly easy to spot, at least in my limited experience.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:15 PM

turbocalls
Old 11-23-2005, 03:27 PM

I call and I'm weaktight.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 PM

I read this as overprotection of something - flopped topped pair / has KK / two pair / trips - he wants to stop any draws and settle for the pot. Is it better than AA? I don't think it's worth finding out.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 PM

Insta call baby.